LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VIPM error in NIPM - the infamous "Check Internet Connection" error...

So, I'm trying to install VIPM through NIPM and get the stupid message mentioned in the subject.  After two days of trying to figure it out, I finally believe I know the cause: I already have that version installed, but it was installed directly when I got a popup to update VIPM to 2020 and finally said "yes".

I guess this installed VIPM 2020 without telling NIPM what I did.  That's fine, but why couldn't NIPM tell me that the install failed because the same version (or newer) was installed???  It's not some obscure error that they never thought would happen; I'd rather think that this would be one of the most common errors that could occur.  Instead, I get the stupid generic error.

NI, could you please put a little more effort into this critical piece of software?

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 1 of 5
(1,072 Views)

Yeah the error is a red herring.  It says things like the checksum doesn't match, or that the download is bad.  But as demonstrated multiple times this error is just a catch all for "I couldn't install it".  I've seen that error when a stick of RAM was bad in the PC, and as you mentioned here, when a version of VIPM is newer, or the same as it is trying to install.  Quite frustrating.  The fix is easy and that is to uninstall VIPM, then install the NIPM package of VIPM.  Of course figuring that out takes time.

Message 2 of 5
(1,007 Views)

@Hooovahh wrote:

Yeah the error is a red herring.  It says things like the checksum doesn't match, or that the download is bad.  But as demonstrated multiple times this error is just a catch all for "I couldn't install it".  I've seen that error when a stick of RAM was bad in the PC, and as you mentioned here, when a version of VIPM is newer, or the same as it is trying to install.  Quite frustrating.  The fix is easy and that is to uninstall VIPM, then install the NIPM package of VIPM.  Of course figuring that out takes time.

Yes, it is frustrating.  I just wish they would put a little more effort into such a critical piece of software.  I mean, if you want to get nitty-gritty, I don't even think that "internet connections" are responsible for most install issues, so they didn't even choose a reasonable default message.  I guess their ego is too big to admit "we don't know what happened".  😄

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(992 Views)

@billko wrote:

I guess their ego is too big to admit "we don't know what happened".  😄

They should go with a funny message, like google's monkey error message, that way the sting of failure would at least make you feel better.

Message 4 of 5
(933 Views)

To follow up on the generic error message mentioned above, NI Package Manager 21.0 just released and will display a lower-level error message to a user when available instead of the generic suggestion to "please check your internet connection". We have left the "Try Again" button in case the user want to do that. Hopefully this will help when debugging errors returned when installing a package.

Ref: See bug number 148740 in NI Package Manager 21.0 Bugs Fixed.

Scott Richardson
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(861 Views)