LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VIPM could not install the package ... Error Code: 1003 "FTDI Driver for I2C SPI GPIO"

Starting here : https://www.ni.com/en-us/support/downloads/tools-network/download.ftdi-driver-for-i2c-spi-gpio.html#...

VIPM even run as administrator will not install package.

Error below: (admin mode) install failed. No admin try was no error and no install. 

Main Package Name: FTDI Driver for I2C SPI GPIO v1.0.0.31
Package Name with Error: FTDI Driver for I2C SPI GPIO v1.0.0.31
Error Message: VIPM could not install the package aj_lv_ftdi_driver_for_i2c_spi_gpio-1.0.0.31 .
Error Code: 1003
Error Source: Invoke Node in D5566ECD6962606ED717A0810948FA29->0AF9339C77424DFA92DA38FDE74DE74C->4E1CC4C6560AE3803601B09E181DEFA6->OGPM Class.lvlib:89AC7BADF759B8183E200C1F7AFA7855->OGPM Class.lvlib:3617A98EB64CF6012064A2A881466B07->579BE417495B7ADCD1FF111EE165D832->VIPM Main Window.vi
<APPEND>
Method Name: Run VI
VI Path: C:\Users\........\AppData\Local\Temp\PostInstall.vi

Any idea what to try next?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(1,206 Views)

You don't say anything about your system, so I don't know if my experience is appropriate, but I was unable to reproduce your experience.

I have a Windows 10 (64-bit) PC with LabVIEW 2021 (32-bit) installed.  I did not have the FTDI Driver for I2C SPI GPIO installed.  Here's my experience:

1. I booted up, and started VIPM 2021, which had been installed when I installed LabVIEW 2021 on this machine.
  2. I found the FTDI Driver for I2C SPI GPIO in  VIPM, and chose to install it.  I probably had Admin "privileges", but I didn't do anything special, and didn't do any "Run as Administrator" action.
  3. The installation process started, and at some point, prompted me to accept the installation of of external files from FTDI.
  4. The VIPM Installation ran and completed without errors.

After this, I opened LabVIEW, and opened a blank VI.  In the Block Diagram view, I could find a FTDI LabVIEW Driver Library in the "AddOns" Palette.

I should mention that I am running LabVIEW Professional, and have installed the LabVIEW Real-Time Module and "ordinary" LabVIEW Drivers (DAQmx, VISA, PXI Platform Services).  

Based (solely) on my own experience, there seems to be nothing complicated or problematic in installing the FTDI package using VIPM with a PC having LabVIEW 2021 (32-bit) installed.  My suspicion is that your LabVIEW installation is faulty.

Repairing a LabVIEW installation is fraught with difficulty.  I've tried many times (starting with LabVIEW 7 and "giving up" around LabVIEW 2015) to do such a "repair", rarely with success.  I now do the following:

1. Completely remove all National Instruments software.  There are instructions on the Web in in these Forums (I've written some of them) telling how to do this safely.
  2. Reinstall LabVIEW, "slowly" (that is, don't try to install every option, Toolkit, Add-On, Driver on a single Installation pass -- I typically have 3-4 reboots during an installation of each LabVIEW version).
  3. In recent years (like the last 2-3), I've tried to have only a single LabVIEW version on my working PC.  If I need to "experiment" with another version, I spin up a VM.  For example, my working LabVIEW is 2019 SP1 -- I'm doing this example from my LabVIEW 2021 VM.

Bob Schor

Message 2 of 5
(1,179 Views)

Hello Bob,

Thanks for all the great ideas. My system has LabVIEW, VIPM 2019 64 bit. I also tried older system with LabVIEW 2016 64 bit and VPIM 2019 and that one errors at the beginning then acts like it is installing then no errors at end. I'm sure the problem in on my local PC's. I'll try the steps you suggested.   

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(1,157 Views)

There is a very good chance that the VIPM package is not prepared to deal with LabVIEW 64-bit. Unfortunately VIPM doesn't provide very good ways to do this as you can only select if the whole package is either 32-bit or 64-bit or bit independent but not that individual files should or shouldn't be installed on a specific bitness platform.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 4 of 5
(1,146 Views)

I found another driver from ovak technologies that claimed to install correctly. It even said D2XX driver and VCP driver installed.

However COM3 is a resource option but no sign of 2XX being a resource.

I'm more than happy to just send an receive characters on a fake COM port. However, I have no info on using VCP commands via COM port. I'll start a new post that that. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(1,122 Views)