From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VI to stay on top of Excel and any other applications

Solved!
Go to solution

How do I keep my main VI on top of all other windows, i.e. Excel? This simple concept seems to escape me. The Floating Window Behavior doesn't appear to do the trick.

Please advise.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(3,045 Views)

Open the properties dialog (ctrl I).Select the window appearance category, select customize, and set it to modal.

Jim

LV 2020
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(3,044 Views)

This doesn't appear to work, as when I try to move my cursor to another cell in Excel, the VI goes behind Excel.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(3,037 Views)
You will need to call windows user32.DLL functions. First to get the window handle, and then to set the z order of the window. Setting z order to -1 sticks the window to the top of all applications. I can probably find an example for you when I am back at work in the morning.
good luck,
Michael.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(3,029 Views)

Rivers, that would be most appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(3,027 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Eric1977

Just use the Windows API Function Utilities for LabVIEW. It has a VI in there to set a window on top.

Message 6 of 12
(3,021 Views)

I have written an example for this using native dll calls as promised.  Copy the dll nodes to your application to preserve the paramater setup.

Stop the VI using the Close X, not the abort button, or your window will be stuck on top!

All the best,

Michael.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(3,007 Views)

Is the Windows API functions available in LV2010 SP1?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(2,988 Views)

If you are referring to the link I sent you, then just download the 8.6 version. 2010 can open 8.6 VIs. You can then simply resave them.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(2,985 Views)

Thank you. That worked!

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(2,979 Views)