From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VI slowed down after changing PC

I have recentely changed development PC from a Dell 2.4GHz Pentium core duo with 2GB of RAM to an advantech industrial computer 2.14GHz Pentium core duo with 4GB of RAM.

After the transition my VI which is used for data extraction from a mySQL database runs at approximately 1 seventh the original speed.  My task which previously took about two minutes is now taking over ten minutes.

When I look at the task manager only about 50% of the processor is being used.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing the massive slowdown?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,606 Views)

SeanJ wrote:

I have recentely changed development PC from a Dell 2.4GHz Pentium core duo with 2GB of RAM to an advantech industrial computer 2.14GHz Pentium core duo with 4GB of RAM.

After the transition my VI which is used for data extraction from a mySQL database runs at approximately 1 seventh the original speed.  My task which previously took about two minutes is now taking over ten minutes.

When I look at the task manager only about 50% of the processor is being used.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing the massive slowdown?

50% says that there is CPU left over and something else is getting in the way.

1) Does this machine have virus checker/differnt than the Dell?

2) Disk speed difference?

3) Compare the cache specs between the machines.

4) Is the slower machine's disk in need of defragmentation?

5) If you exand the collumns in the Windows taks manager, do you see page swapping or page fail waits?

6) THe trace execution toolkit may shed some light on what is happening.

That is my short list of "any idea"s.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,603 Views)

To add to Ben's suggestions; check the state of the network interface. Most installations use auto-negotiate.

Some older type Ethernet interfaces will auto-negotiate to 10 Mb/sec; that would slow your raw network access down from 100 Mb/sec by a factor of 10. 

It might not be the driver; a poor Ethernet cable may cause the connection to negotiate to a slower speed.

Now is the right time to use %^<%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S%3uZ>T
If you don't hate time zones, you're not a real programmer.

"You are what you don't automate"
Inplaceness is synonymous with insidiousness

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,587 Views)

Would that be 50% of total CPU? If so 1 core is spinning wildly and the other is unused, which sounds like bad code.

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,569 Views)

Hi All,

Thanks for all your suggestions.

In the end it turned out that the 'industrial PC' came supplied with a XGi Volari z9 chipsetgraphics card with 32MB of onboard memory. 

I didn't realise they made cards that bad!  It's a new PC!

I upgraded it to a club 8400S and it's working much better now.

Message 5 of 6
(2,534 Views)

SeanJ wrote:

Hi All,

Thanks for all your suggestions.

In the end it turned out that the 'industrial PC' came supplied with a XGi Volari z9 chipsetgraphics card with 32MB of onboard memory

I didn't realise they made cards that bad!  It's a new PC!

I upgraded it to a club 8400S and it's working much better now.

quoting myself from above;

"

3) Compare the cache specs between the machines.

"

THe bus speed inside the chip can run faster than the external busses provided it never has to go "off-board". Cached memory will be used if it available. When your data set get large the cache has to refresh from teh physical memory so it slows down to memory bus speed. With a large on-board cache the CPU can run longer with out the slow down.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,529 Views)