LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VI shuts off at 4.75 hours, like clockwork

Whether or not it ends up being the culprit in *this* case, the thoughts from Kyle97330 are some really good ones for this kind of troubleshooting.  Several previous threads about odd but repeatable behavior showing up after a long time have ultimately traced down to some large "magic number" related to capacity (like a buffer) or range (integer overflow).  

In fact, I've still got my windows calculator open from yesterday when I was checking for similar things, namely calculating the # sec or msec in 4.75 hours (~17 thousand or million, BTW).  But I was only comparing against 2^32, 2^31, 2^16, 2^15 as targets for proximity to unsigned and signed, 32- and 16-bit integer overflow points.   I never thought to look for proximity to 2^24 because I only had integer datatypes and the 32-bit msec tick counter in mind as suspects.  I wasn't thinking about internal buffers that might be sized in a whole variety of powers-of-2.

Anyway, just wanted to put in a kudo because this search for "magic numbers" is another subtle but useful tool for the ol' troubleshooting toolbelt.

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 11
(125 Views)