I have a subVI that scans the computer for any NI hardware that's plugged in, and if found gives me some basic info about it. This VI is usually called by a main VI, and I was noticing that it was running very slowly.
Opening up the subVI's front panel and running from there (instead of being called by a different VI) produces the same effect. It takes about 1.5-2s to run completely. However, once I open the block diagram for the subVI, suddenly it only takes a handful of miliseconds to run. This effect continues even if I close out of the block diagram and even out of the whole subVI, and only goes back to being slow if I completely restart LabVIEW.
So I guess I was wondering why this problem is happening and what I can do to stop it. I searched pretty heavily on these forums and couldn't find anyone with even a remotely similar issue.
Solved! Go to Solution.
Well, I didn't figure outthe cause of the issue, but I circumvented it (and also just made my code a lot better) by using a DAQmx system property node instead of a more general system hardware property node (since I'm only interested in scanning for DAQmx hardware changes anyways.
Looks like updating the code with that change fixed my issue, so I suppose you were correct in that it was somehow caching hardware information from previous runs. All good now!