LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VI runs slowly on other PCs

I'm have developed a VI which communicates with some hardware via USB & writes & displays various data.

It is mostly event driven, with a central event structure, the timeout case doing several actions on a 500 ms cycle.

It runs fine on my development PC (i5 520 2.5GHz 2GB) Lv 2010. And it also runs fine on my machine when built into an .exe.

But, i have deployed it onto 2 of my colleagues machines with similar specifications (LV not installed, using Runtime engine) and it runs very slowly.

All actions seem to run about 10 times slower.

I have checked CPU usage and that is not critical (V using 0-20% CPU in bursts)

Any Ideas?

Labview 2010, TestStand 2010
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 32
(3,327 Views)
Do you have the desktop execution trace toolkit? You can get the thirty day evaluation. You can use it to look at events, memory allocations, leaked references, etc. If you enable debugging on the exe you can even watch the exe on the remote machine.
=====================
LabVIEW 2012

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 32
(3,305 Views)

I'm still having this problem and now on a second application (although it does use some of the same sub-VI)

It runs fine on the dev machine.

It runs fine when complied to an exe on the dev machine.

It runs slowly on any other (tested on 2) machne.

- I have disabled debuggung in VI properties of all VI & sub-VI.

It doesnt use significant amounts of memmory or processor on either PC, so i dont think thats an issue.

I'm really stuck on this. Why would the runtime perform slower than the dev engine, it should be the other way around if anything...

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 32
(3,222 Views)

I have the same Problem.

Are you connected to the internet with the other machines?

Mine situation is simular, once I unplugg the ethernet port the Application runs as fast as on the dev machine.

This problem started with LV2009 RunTimeEngine trying to communicate via the internet.

regards

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 32
(3,202 Views)

if you are using .Net constructors this might help.

I found this Solution in an other forum .

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/exe-with-NET-components-very-slow/m-p/1083007

Regards, Olli

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 32
(3,197 Views)

I have still not found any solution to this despite trying many things, and making some extensive websearches.

Just to clarify, its not the startup time thats slow, its the general operation (GUI update rate, I/O etc) Its behaving exactly as if someone turned down the clock speed.

I've now tried a clean deployment (.exe build) on a clean windows 7 machine (which is more powerful than my dev machine)

It still runs slowly with the 2010 RTE.

Any more ideas anyone? Anyone else having this kind of problem?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 32
(3,163 Views)

I have seen this problem before with LV2009 and LV2010 when switching computers if the new target machine does not have sufficient memory.  You can take a big performance hit when the run-time engine has to spend a lot of time switching things in and out of memory.  You might check that.

Jason

Wire Warrior

Behold the power of LabVIEW as my army of Roomba minions streaks across the floor!
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 32
(3,141 Views)

NI support advice me to follow those instructions and it work. 🙂

maybe this helps you as well

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/7DC537BCD6E679C3862577D9007B799E?OpenDocument

regards,

Olli

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 32
(3,106 Views)

NI support advice me to follow those instructions and it work. 🙂

maybe this helps you as well

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/7DC537BCD6E679C3862577D9007B799E?OpenDocument

regards,

Olli

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 32
(3,105 Views)

HI thanks, I will try this later.

But just to reiterate, its not the start up time per se thats slow, but the whole operation.

My main GUI loop runs at 4 Hz (Event loop with 250ms timeout), but on any target machine no matter the memory/cpu/OS it runs more slowly at about 1 Hz. Something (or everything) seems to runmuch slower with the RTE.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 32
(3,083 Views)