From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VI panel freezes after discarding a panel close

Solved!
Go to solution

I'm running Labview 15 and am attempting a very basic VI to impliment into my full program. I will basically have four stations running data acquisition and don't want the program to close if one of them is running. So I have 4 booleans wired to OR terminals so they should set discard to true if one of them is on, or false if they are all off. The problem is when I have one or more on and attempt to close the VI it doesn't close (hooray! that part works) but when I want to continue testing and turning them all back off again to see if I am allowed to close if they are not "running" I cannot switch anything and my VI is frozen until I stop it.

I am just learning this program so bare with me if the solution is very simple.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,118 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author eBioMaterials

Yes.... The solution is very simple....

The problem is dataflow.

The panel close event registers as soon as the VI starts running. Unfortunately the event structure is outside the loop so it is never checked. Consiquently, when the event does occur LabVIEW locks the user interface until it can be serviced. However, it can't service it because the event structure can't run until the loop stops and you can't stop the loop because LabVIEW is waiting for the event to be serviced...

To fix this particular problem, move the buttons inside the event structure and put the event structure inside the loop.

Mike...

PS: You should really check out the online tutorials. They will help a lot.

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
Message 2 of 4
(3,099 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,965 Views)

Thank you both for speedy replies. I am currently running through the turoials, but also working on the vital support updates for our product simultaneously and thoguht this would be a simple one to complete before finishing training.

I will finish the training and implement the fix! Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,938 Views)