cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VI linking

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi!!

In my application i want to first display a page with my logo and "proceed  button " to proceed .After clicking that button i want to enter into another panel to enter my communication settings.And when clicked "proceed button" i enter into the main VI that displays data acquired. If i formulate these as three seperate VIs how can i link them or how can implement this logic?

Thnxx!!!

Regards

DeWalker

autonews.nl

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16
(3,763 Views)

This'll work. 

Message Edited by jcarmody on 09-22-2008 05:03 AM
Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

Message 2 of 16
(3,752 Views)

There are many ways to do that.

I'd use the last VI as main vi (the VI that is started initially). Make it
start with a hidden front panel. In it's diagram, run the first popup VI.
Use error in / error out of this Vi to synchronize it with the second popup
VI. Then, show the main VI's front panel.

Regards,

Wiebe.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16
(3,748 Views)

Hey !!

Wiebe can u cook an example vi for me so that i get the pattern.Plus how can i transfer the values entered in one vi to my main vi (have to transfer COM port settings )??

Thnx!

Regards

-DeWalker-

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 16
(3,712 Views)

I think you have to use the VISA functions to Read/Write from/to the COM port.

If you just want to transfer the COM port settings from one VI to another, then you have to wire those variables to the Connector Pane. From the Main VI, you have to pass the values thro' variables connected to these terminals present in the SubVI.

- Partha ( CLD until Oct 2024 🙂 )
Message 5 of 16
(3,692 Views)
From what I gather, you want to run a vi that has your logo. After pressing proceed, a prompt will pop up asking for configuration input. After this, that configuration input is used in the code for whatever purpose (I guess configuring ports in this case). The attached vis do just that. Using Application Control and a case structure, the Logo VI waits for the user to hit proceed then calls and runs the Main VI. The Main VI uses a Prompt User to get the configuration data that can be used in the code. I just displayed it but it could be wired to whatever. I set the Logo VI to run when opened in the VI properties but that can be easily changed. Hopefully this helps. The guys were leading here with their comments so thank them for their help. Good Luck!!
Download All
Message 6 of 16
(3,666 Views)

One more thing, the VI file paths are constants that reference my computer so after you download them to your desktop you will need to go in the code and change it to your computer. A tip to making this faster is to delete the constant, create a new one, and then drag the vi from the desktop to this constant. The constant automatically converts the filepath for you. Enjoy!!

Message 7 of 16
(3,663 Views)
DeWalker,

Does G-Money's example work for you?

Btw. jcarmody's way, using VI server is also a perfect way of doing this. I
personally do everything like this. But you'll run into a problem. How to
get the results back from the VI? I always use serveral reference files (one
for loadable/storable settings, one for internal settings), and my dynamic
VI's store their results in those 'files' (they are more like buffers that
actual files). This is somewhat more work than the easy way, but it opens up
whole new worlds. For instance, it's a peace of cake to make save/load
settings menu items. Or a menu item to configure the com port settings. Even
Save as... function isn't very hard anymore. If you have time, and aren't
afraid of learning a lot, you should try this some time.

Regards,

Wiebe.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16
(3,639 Views)

Hi everyone!!(was away) Thank you everyone for your time and replies 🙂 

Jcarmody's reply was good and simple one to get started.G-moneys example  couldn't help in a way that i cant design my own panel to provide COM port selection plus the dialogue box couldnt detect the avaliable COM ports like COM port string does .    How can i link a vi(for com port settings )  such that i pass my values(COM port number,baud rate etc)  to the next VI  to open up a VISA session.

Kind Regards

DeWalker

autonew.nl

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16
(3,547 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author DeWalker

DeWalker,

You could use a sub-VI to get the comm settings and avoid using VI Server altogether; this way you can wire the outputs from the sub-VI to wherever you need them.  I think this is what Weibe & parthabe suggested; did you try that?

You could use functional global variables to store the settings if you have a need to separate your VIs.  Those are VERY useful; study them if you're unfamiliar with their use.  Shared Variables are my least favorite LabVIEW feature.  Never use them!!!!!!!Smiley Mad

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 16
(3,518 Views)