From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VI front panel properties ignored when calling by static reference?

When I call VI2 from VI1 directly, the front panel for VI2 opens and VI2 is running.  When I terminate VI2, data flow returns to VI1 and all is good.  This configuration blocks VI1, however, from any further interaction until VI2 has ceased execution.

Therefore, I switched the call mode to call by static reference.  I opted to choose to not wait for execution to complete and I still have VI properties set to "Show front panel when called" and "Close afterwards if originally closed".  However, these properties seem to have no effect when VI2 is called by static reference.  Am I doing something wrong?

I'm running LV2009SP1.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,094 Views)

I suspect you want two VIs to run in parallel but be able to interact with the FP of each. If that is true (stop reading if it is not) look at the example I posted in this message.

It is a very simple demo to show how to launch and run sub-VI in a sub- panel or to un-dock the from a tab.

All of the code is there and it may give you some ideas.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,088 Views)

That is very clever.  Thanks for sharing it.

I just want the properties in the VI Properties dialog box to work:  "Show front panel when called" is checked and "Close afterwards if originally closed" is checked but the front panel does not appear when the VI is called.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,080 Views)