From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VI description from ancestor class?

Solved!
Go to solution

In the documentation for LabVIEW (2017), it states:

Note  If you do not provide a VI description for a dynamic child member VI in a LabVIEW class, LabVIEW displays the description for the nearest ancestor class dynamic member VI of the same name, if available.

However, this does not appear to work.  I have an overriding VI in a descendant class with an empty VI description.  The text in the ancestor class's VI description does not appear in the Context Help window for the descendant's implementation.  Am I missing something?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,165 Views)

I tested this behavior in LabVIEW 2019 (I do not have 2017 installed in my home machine) and it seems to be working fine:

Child dynamic dispatch method displays parent's description in context help.Child dynamic dispatch method displays parent's description in context help.

Since you didn't attach a reproducing case, or something we could test that showed the behavior, we can't see what could be incorrectly configured. I do attach my project for you to test with.

All the best,

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,110 Views)

PS: I add the project in 2017 in case there's no 2019 in your machine.

Regards,

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,100 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author tarheels100

It works as expected in LV2018 too. But I remember that I had issues with it in 2017, and that it had worked before. Note that when you are in the project explorer, this feature is not active, only when you hover on the block diagram.

Certified LabVIEW Architect
Message 4 of 6
(2,077 Views)

My apologies for not including a MWE.  I noticed the issue in a huge project and didn't think to make a small test case.  I've attached a test project in case anyone is interested.  

In the attached example, I still don't see the parent's VI description when hovering over the child VI in the project explorer.  But based on thols's suggestion, I tried hovering over the VI in a block diagram and that appears to work.  Is this expected behavior?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,059 Views)

Thanks for the insight, thols, and tarheels100. I was missing the part about hovering over the method in the project explorer and not the block diagram.

That's interesting. I assume it's expected behavior, however I do not see it documented anywhere. I opened CAR #745052 for the team to review it.

Thanks,

Message 6 of 6
(2,044 Views)