LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VI backwards compatibility with older run-time Engines

Solved!
Go to solution

I currently developed a VI in Labview 8.6.1.  I also created an exe for it so that I can run it on another computer.  However, the other computer has an older version of the Run-Time engine installed and so my program cannot be executed on that computer without upgrading the run-time engine to 8.6.1.  But....that computer also has some programs that run on that version of run-time engine.  I have two options here but I do not know the effects or how to do it.

1) Install a newer version of the run-time engine (8.6.1) - Will this break the current functionality of the programs already on it?

2) Is it possible to have my VI run on older versions of the run-time engine?  If so, how do I do that?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,106 Views)
Installing a newer version of the runtime engine is your only option and it will not overwrite older version or have any affect on programs that use a different runtime.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,100 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Gormander
As dennis said simply install the new runtime engine. We have machines that have 5 versions of the runtime engine on them and we haven't experienced any problems.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
Message 3 of 4
(3,094 Views)
Thank you all.  I was hoping that it was ok since they give you options to include multiple run-time engines when you create an installer package.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,092 Views)