From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VI Reference type does not match VI connector pane

I am trying to use Open VI Reference in LabVIEW 8.  I am getting error 1031 "VI Reference type does not match VI connector pane."  I have a Type Specifier wired to the Type Sepcifier terminal, and I've gone in and selected Select VI Server Class / Browse, and selected the VIT that matches the input path. 

My path is correct.

I wired 0x10 (16) to the options terminal so that I would be prompted if LabVIEW couldn't find the necessary subVI files.

I restarted my computer to make sure the old type specifer was not in memory.

Any thoughts on why I still get error 1031?

Thanks,

Kathy
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(6,168 Views)

Hi Kathy,

If you could attach a sample VI that demonstrates the problem (along with the VI you are trying to open a reference to), that would help.  The only times I've seen this problem are when I've already got the VI that makes the dynamic call, and I later make a change to the dynamically-called VI and forget to update the type specifier...but it doesn't sound like that's the problem you're having.

-D

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(6,160 Views)

Darren wrote "and forget to update the type specifier..."

which reminds me to ask...

Is there anyway to make that update operation automatic?

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(6,142 Views)
Thanks.

My code is attached.  Run the 'test open vi reference.vi' and it will call the other files.

I tried using 'open vi reference' with a very simple vit and it worked, so my problem might have something to do with the vit that I'm trying to open.  I still get the 1031 error with the vit that I need to use (attached). 

-Kathy
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(6,140 Views)

Hi Kathy,

I am still investigating this problem, but right now I do have a workaround for you.  If you open your template VI and drag its icon into the type specifier constant, and also drag it into the refnum indicator on the panel of your calling VI, the problem no longer occurs.  For some reason the "Browse" operation is behaving differently than dragging the VI icon.  I will continue investigating this and let you know what I find out.

Ben:  There is no way to automatically update the type specifiers.  I've seen people typedef their specifiers before, so they only have to change them in one place when the subVI connector pane changes.  We already have this suggestion on file to consider for a future LabVIEW version.

-D

Message 5 of 7
(6,127 Views)

It looks like mass compiling the VIs also fixes the problem.  I'm guessing that the type specifier is having trouble with one or more of the CAN typedefs in that VI, and the problem is corrected when the template VI (and its subVIs) are mass compiled. 

-D

Message 6 of 7
(6,113 Views)

Hi everyone,

I am facing the similar problem 'VI Reference type does not match VI connector pane'. Please find the attached vi.

I have selected 'mlt_gaussian_kernel_vi' as the VI server class. And vi path is given also as 'mlt_gaussian_kernel_vi' . Then it is working fine. But if i select kernel type as polynomial or linear, then this error comes.

What should i give to VI specifier refnum input of OPEN VI REFERENCE so that it can work for all kernel types selected. Where is the issue....please suggest.

Best regards!!!

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,273 Views)