LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VI Properties:Protection:Locked does not persist

Solved!
Go to solution
I set a top level vi to VI Properties:Protection:Locked and it behaves as I expect (the window appears similar to Operate:Change to run mode). I save the VI and then close it. When I reopen the VI, it is in edit mode, not locked as I desire. I can set Options:Environment:Open VIs in run mode, but that changes the environment for all vi's; I only want this one VI to be protected. Is this a defect, or am I missing something? Thanks!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(3,160 Views)

From what you are describing it sounds like you are doing things correctly. Are you providing it with a password? Also when you reopen it, what happens if you press Ctrl-E?

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
Message 2 of 10
(3,144 Views)
I'm using locked - no password. I am saving into an .llb and this VI is marked top-level (but it behaved the same when I saved to a .vi as well). When I double click from the LLB Manager, it opens in edit mode. Ctrl-E opens up the block diagram editor.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(3,138 Views)
Let me state that my primary objective is to save the vi so that it comes up in Operate:Change to run mode so that the user does not see all the grid-lines and mistakenly edit the vi. I do not want to set the Tools:Options:Environment setting because that applies to all vis - I just want this one to come up in that mode. Also, in general, it seems that the locking is broken - I tried lock using a password, and I get the same behavior - I can see the block diagram.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(3,136 Views)

Son of a gun, you're right it doesn't work...

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
Message 5 of 10
(3,129 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author DEppAtNGC

This behavior was reported to R&D (CAR# 128657) and fixed in LabVIEW 8.6.1.  The work around for locking a VI in LabVIEW 8.6 is to save the VI with password. 

Saving the password may have appeared to not function for you because LabVIEW caches passwords after you apply or enter them on a development machine.   LabVIEW will remember passwords in the cache until you clear the password cache either by exiting LabVIEW or manually clearing the cache in the LabVIEW opt...

Cheers,

Spex
National Instruments

To the pessimist, the glass is half empty; to the optimist, the glass is half full; to the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be has a 2x safety factor...
Message 6 of 10
(3,111 Views)
Is there a patch? I really hate to have to install 8.6.1 all over again - primarily because of internal issues about who keeps the disks and who performs the installs. Thanks! David
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,093 Views)

DEppAtNGC,

National Instruments generally does not issue patches for something that has been solved in another version.  But, with that being said, is there any reason you do not like the work around that Spex put forth?

ColeR
Field Engineer
Message 8 of 10
(3,074 Views)
I don't really want to lock the VI, as mentioned above, I simply want this VI to appear in Run Mode, not Edit Mode. Please read above carefully.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(3,067 Views)

DEppAtNGC,

I understand you don't want to lock it, but unfortunatly that's out only solution short of installing 8.6.1.

ColeR
Field Engineer
Message 10 of 10
(3,036 Views)