From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VI Analyzer - Find sub-VI calls by path name

Solved!
Go to solution

Is it possible to use VI Analyzer to detect and report if a specific sub-VI (identified by path name) is used within an analyzed VI?

I am upgrading from LabVIEW 7.0 to 8.6. I need to identify the use of specific VIs and replace them with new LabVIEW native functions.

I could delete these sub-VIs and look for broken VIs, but they happen to be part of LabVIEW's 'vi.lib\' hierarchy, and I would rather not edit or delete them. Smiley Wink

Message Edited by Phillip Brooks on 10-30-2008 01:56 PM

Now is the right time to use %^<%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S%3uZ>T
If you don't hate time zones, you're not a real programmer.

"You are what you don't automate"
Inplaceness is synonymous with insidiousness

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,846 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author PhillipBrooks

Hi Philip,

I've attached a VI Analyzer test below that should do what you want.  In addition to looking for static subVI calls, it also checks string controls/constants and path controls/constants for the VI name you specify, in the event that you have dynamic calls.  To use this test in LabVIEW 8.6 do the following:

1. Copy the attached LLB to [My Documents]\LabVIEW Data\VI Analyzer Tests (you may need to create this folder).
  2. Run Tools > VI Analyzer.
  3. Specify the folder(s) of VIs you want to analyze.
  4. On the test selection page, place a checkbox next to <User-Specified>\VI Analyzer Tests\Find VI Calls.
  5. Type the name(s) of the VI(s) you want to search for in the "Offending VIs" list on the right.  I recommend excluding the ".vi" extension...I noticed once when I was looking for a VI that the subVI name wasn't what I was expecting.  In my case, the name I specified was "Write to Spreadsheet File.vi", and the VI on the diagram was "Write to Spreadsheet File (dbl).vi" because it was a polymorphic VI.  Since this test matches case-insensitive partial strings, I just specified a name of "write to spreadsheet file" and it was found.
  6. Run the analysis.

Let me know if you have any questions or problems.

-D

Message 2 of 3
(4,824 Views)

If I could give you 10 kudos right now, I would! This is PERFECT!

Thank you so much!

Now is the right time to use %^<%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S%3uZ>T
If you don't hate time zones, you're not a real programmer.

"You are what you don't automate"
Inplaceness is synonymous with insidiousness

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(4,819 Views)