From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VD Module versus FPGA Module

I am trying to see what software I need to create a vision system.

I will be using a frame grabber (PCIe-8237) with on-board FPGA. I will also need to program this FPGA to allow for inspection of screws. I saw that with the FPGA, I will need at the very least, LabVIEW. 

To customize on the FPGA, I would need the FPGA module?  I also saw that there is a Vision Development Module. Would I still need the FPGA module if I am purchasing the Vision Development Module?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,733 Views)

These two modules are rather different.  The Vision Development Module is talked about here: http://www.ni.com/white-paper/52174/en/  It's a bunch of vision algorithms to make life easier for you as you start t obuild an application around vision.  The white paper discusses what was added to the VDM in each of the releases since 2009.  This should give you a good idea of what exists here.

The FPGA Module allows you to program FPGA code.  It's also required to access FPGA targets using LabVIEW. 

You'll definitely need the FPGA Module.  If you want to add on the algorithm support from VDM, you can use that as well.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,691 Views)