From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using symbols in a multicolumn listbox

I can't seem to show symbols in the second column of a multicolumn listbox. I tried some example code I found on NI.com and there seems to be something unique about the multicolumn list box they used in the example. If I put down a new one it doesn't work. What's the trick?

Doug Ferguson

www.southerndaqsolutions.com
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 21
(6,070 Views)

Can you show us what is the code you are using and also your work? (2009 version please)

-----

The best solution is the one you find it by yourself
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 21
(6,069 Views)

Did the example use Row Headers?  That's the only thing that makes sense to me.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 21
(6,064 Views)

Hi Doug,

did you enable symbols at all?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 4 of 21
(6,062 Views)

Here are my findings from my quick playing around.

• The symbols have to be made visible (right-click, Visible menu).
  • Only the first colum of data can have symbols.  The property is a 1D array.  Doesn't make much sense to me, but whatever.
  • You can have Row Headers (also in right-click, Visible menu).  You can then color these headers to make them look like actual data.  This will make it look like the second colum has the symbols.  You also have to write to the row headers via another property (Row Header Strings).

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 5 of 21
(6,056 Views)

The following statement was copied from the LabVIEW Help topic "Adding Symbols to Listboxes and Tree Controls":

Note  In a multicolumn listbox, LabVIEW adds the symbol to the first column.

In my own experimentation, I havent found a way to add symbols to the other columns. Is it possible that the examples you've found are really just adding symbols into the text itself? I agree with the previous post, we'll need to see the code you're working with.

------

Matt Kirk

Inventor of ImageJVI

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 21
(6,053 Views)

I am assuming you are referring to this example: Inserting Images in a Multicolumn Listbox in LabVIEW 8.x. For a multicolumn listbox, that only works for the first column. If you want symbols on other columns, then one way to do this is to set that column to a font that uses symbols, like the example for showing folders that I showed.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 21
(6,049 Views)

Nope, I am using this example.

https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-14549

I edited this code and added symbols to a third column and it only shows up in the control 'MC Listbox'.

Doug Ferguson

www.southerndaqsolutions.com
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 21
(6,043 Views)

That example appears to use a custom control, rather than a standard multicolumn listbox. Without investigating it, I'm not sure how it was done.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 21
(6,029 Views)

@DougFerguson wrote:

I can't seem to show symbols in the second column of a multicolumn listbox. I tried some example code I found on NI.com and there seems to be something unique about the multicolumn list box they used in the example. If I put down a new one it doesn't work. What's the trick?

Hi Doug,

Can you clarify what you are trying to do?  You mentioned that you modified the example.  What modifications were made? Can you please attach your code?

Thanks,

Daniel Dorroh
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 21
(6,000 Views)