LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using control drag to make space on block diagram switches to front pannel

Whenever I try to create some space on my block diagram using the standard "control + drag" keyboard shortcut it automatically changes to the front panel as if I just pressed "control + e". I'm hoping that this is something simple that I am missing. A few notes:

1. This seems to only be happening in my more complex programs. When I open a new vi and use control + drag to resize a while loop I don't experience this behavior. 

2. I know that I didn't post the code. I am hoping that someone else has experienced this problem and knows the fix. I can't post the code as it is a complete application that is proprietary.  

3. I am an experienced LabVIEW user (5+ years). This is the first time that I am experiencing this behavior. 

4. I am running 2018 64bit.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(977 Views)

Just as a data point, I have never seen that in LabVIEW 2015-2020 (using 32bit LabVIEW, though).

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(967 Views)

@sam.blades wrote:

Whenever I try to create some space on my block diagram using the standard "control + drag" keyboard shortcut it automatically changes to the front panel as if I just pressed "control + e". I'm hoping that this is something simple that I am missing. A few notes:

1. This seems to only be happening in my more complex programs. When I open a new vi and use control + drag to resize a while loop I don't experience this behavior. 

2. I know that I didn't post the code. I am hoping that someone else has experienced this problem and knows the fix. I can't post the code as it is a complete application that is proprietary.  

3. I am an experienced LabVIEW user (5+ years). This is the first time that I am experiencing this behavior. 

4. I am running 2018 64bit.

That's happened to me occasionally.  If I exit LabVIEW, then restart it, it's OK.

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(944 Views)

I haven't seen that particular issue, but creating space like that seems a bit quirky.  It might have to do with the "live update feature" that updates the visuals as you drag.  Maybe if you disabled that feature - I forget what the official name is - that will make the problem go away.  I think that feature is a bit expensive in processing power and it makes it a bit glitchy.  That would explain why it only happens with complicated VIs.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(939 Views)