From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using an events count and a difference of counts, how can I set up a cyclometer function?

Hi,

First of all I have very little experience with LabView and I'm currently trying to develop a cyclometer as follows:

There are 4 magnets in a wheel. A reed swtich is attached to the frame which activates when a magnet passes by, therefore 1 revolution = 4 counts.

I have a Count Digital Events code and a Difference of counts (both attached below) but I'm getting confused on how to integrate or use both to create a cyclometer function. I want to be able to calculate the distance traveled, velocity with moving average, velocity without moving average and average velocity(overall).

So far I think I got the total distance figured out:

Using the Count Digital Events code, I count a number of counts, the divide by 4 ( because there are 4 magnets). This gives me 1 revolution. Then the tire has a circumference of 2*pi*r, therefore the total distance is: (number of counts/4)*(2*pi*r).

My next step was to calculate the velocity. My idea is that if I set the Count Digital Events code to run the loop every second, I will get a measurement of counts per second, which then I can convert to velocity and rev/min.  However I have attempted to do this but I can't figure out a way to make the Count Digital Events code do this, or even if this is the correct approach to calculate the velocity.

Once I get the instantaneous velocity and distance figured out I will go onto figuring out how to do the velocity with moving average and average velocity overall. Also, I believe I should use the Difference of Counts code but I'm not sure how it would be helpful.

Thank you for your help and time!

Alex

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,104 Views)

I'm thinking it might be easier to have the counter measure frequency at a 100Hz rate (depending on your desired speeds, that number was kind of just made up).  Divide the frequency by 4 (4 sensors), and your velocity is 2*pi*r*f/4 = pi*r*f/2.  Distance is then simply x1 = x0 + v1*t where t is 1/sample rate.  It is also simple to keep the velocity in an array to calculate a moving average and straight average.

If you need help figuring out the counter setup, I can provide more help tomorrow when I have all of my resources (LabVIEW, DAQmx, previously used code) available.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,090 Views)

Hey crossrulz,

Thanks for your help. The thing is that I'm not sure if you can set the code to measure at a frequency of 100Hz, I'm guessing I would have to modify what I already have. If you have a chance and open the Event Count code, there is a clock, like a motronome which says 100 I think for now. Because LabView only takes milliseconds I thought that you could set that to 1000ms which would be 1 second. Attached is a photograph of the code for that part, but I'll try and submit better print screens later when I have acces to LabView. However what you are suggesting sounds like a better approach + it sets up well everything to continue with the other calculations, but could you explain me if you have some time on how to do this with your approach?

Thanks a lot!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,083 Views)