From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using VIs without block diagrams

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

We have a subcontractor who has developed a VI for us that includes several sub-VIs that they won't give access to. Consequently the sub-VIs have been provided without the block diagrams. Now I struggle to build the VI into an application and I get the error : VI cannot be converted to the current version because it has no block diagram

Question is: Is it me doing it wrong or is it true that VIs without block diagrams can only be used in same version same operating system etc?

If so how should the subcontractor share the sub-VIs with me so that I can use them?

What I really want to do is make some minor changes to the main VI and re-compile it to an application.

Thanks 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,065 Views)

Hi CAP,

Question is: Is it me doing it wrong or is it true that VIs without block diagrams can only be used in same version same operating system etc?

Yes, that's true: you need the very same LabVIEW version! (OS is not as relevant.)

When the block diagram is missing the VI only contains the FP and the compiled code: you need the same LabVIEW version to be able to run the code.

If so how should the subcontractor share the sub-VIs with me so that I can use them?

They need to provide either the blockdiagram - or you have to agree on the same LabVIEW version!

What I really want to do is make some minor changes to the main VI and re-compile it to an application.

Then you need "runnable" subVIs as described above.

Lesson learned: when buying code from a subcontractor you need to have a contract which allows access to the source code (aka block diagram) too!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,059 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author CAP66

To expand on this a little more than GerdW did... a better method (in fact the method that NI uses) is to just have your subcontractor password protect their VIs.

This article gives you a little bit better reading on password vs remove block diagram.  Removing block diagram is technichally more secure, but password protecting is still secure and allows for recompile to other versions of LabVIEW.

Edit: clarity

Message 3 of 4
(3,031 Views)

Some additional reading:  What Happens When I Save My VI and Remove Diagrams?

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,025 Views)