From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Sub Panels in a multi monitor set up ...

Let me explain the hardware setup :

LV15 running on WIN7 PC with two monitors.

One monitor is a touch type (800 x 600 ) and has all controls on it. 

Another monitor is a large non touch (1366 x 768 ) type with all indicators on it. 

So for every situation i have a CNT_XXX.VI that runs on the touch type monitor and DISP_XXX.VI that runs on the non touch monitor.

When the application opens,  it launches the CNT_MAIN.VI and the DISP_MAIN.VI.

Now the user clicks a button marked " TEST_01" on the CNT_MAIN.VI. It should then do two things :

Close the FP of CNT_MAIN.VI and unload from memory the DISP_MAIN.VI.

Load the CNT_TEST_01.VI and also the DISP_TEST_01.VI . 

The reason i cannot unload the CNT_MAIN.VI is that it has DAQMX functions in it for hardware interface and hardware data is passed on to the loaded SUB VIs through Queues or Function globals. 

Suppose i want to use Sub-Panels for the above set up, how do i go about it ?? Thanks.

Raghunathan
LabVIEW to Automate Hydraulic Test rigs.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,484 Views)

A VI can be removed from a sub-panel without having to close it (remove from memory).

So simply do not stop the VI removed from the sub-panel.

In this post I shared a zip with an example of what I called "docking". It illustrates that a VI can be removed/inserted in a sub-panel without stopping the VI.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,476 Views)

I attach a very primitive project example (it was for a student to help him to start with subpanels), just to show how to insert/remove VIs into/from a SubPanel. LV2017 version.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,450 Views)

@Blokk wrote:

I attach a very primitive project example (it was for a student to help him to start with subpanels), just to show how to insert/remove VIs into/from a SubPanel. LV2017 version.

Sound interesting. Could you help with a 2015 version ? Thanks !!

Raghunathan
LabVIEW to Automate Hydraulic Test rigs.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,420 Views)

@MogaRaghu wrote:

@Blokk wrote:

Sound interesting. Could you help with a 2015 version ? Thanks !!

Sorry, but i am on holiday until next week, and no access to LabVIEW. By the way, my example uses Channel wires, which is not available in LV2015, officially they were released in LabVIEW 2016. Anyway, you do not need the Channel part of the project, so just ask for a limited conversion in the version conversion forum board.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,414 Views)