From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using SMT Zoom Power Spectrum.vi with PXie-5162 Digitizer

Hello,

I'm recently implementing the Zoom FFT/Power Spectrum option in Spectral Measurements Toolkit with the high-speed digitizer PXIe-5162 vis niScope. I hope to obtain the high-frequency spectrum (near 1GHz) with low resolution bandwidth (RBW, <100). In the regular FFT/PSD vi, I have to take the whole spectrum with such small RBW, which takes a lot of space. Thus, I hope to use Zoom Power Spectrum to focus on a center frequency of 800MHz with a span of 100MHz, for instance.

I first use SMT Config niScope for Spectrum.vi to set the SMT Zoom settings. However, when I use a sampling rate of fs= 208MHz (just larger than 2*span frequency), the output "actual spectrum settings" shows that span is 100MHz but the center frequency is 52.08MHz instead of 800MHz.

I also notice that there is a property node of the niScope "Frequency Translation Enabled" under "Onboard Signal Processing -> DDC" that PXIe-5162 seems not supported. In this case, is it possible for me to use SMT Zoom Power Spectrum.vi to I get the "zoom-in" spectrum with a center frequency of 800MHz instead with a sampling rate of 208MHz? If yes, how should I do?

Also, I found it is difficult for me to understand the concept of "effective band specifications" in the "advanced settings". How much is the fh different from fs/2? Can it be automatically defined by a given span frequency and a given center frequency?

Thank you very much for your answers in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(1,869 Views)

Hi mingweii,

The Zoom FFT is only meant to decrease the FFT computations, not decrease the initial data acquisition size as discussed in this article: https://www.embedded.com/design/other/4213370/Using-Zoom-FFT-for-spectral-analysis.  You could potentially use undersampling to lower the sampling rate depending on the bandwidth of the signal: https://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1275354#.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(1,827 Views)