LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Labview to program Kethley 2611a to produce voltage and measure current? (Trying to make IV curve)

I downloaded the Keithley 2600 series drivers. I opened them with labview. I scanned through them, and most of them were too complicated for me to undestand.

Anyway, I just want to simply to program the Keithley 2611A to run a certain voltage through the Hi and Lo cables, and read the output current. The sourcemeter is connected via GPIB cable. I have Labview 2010 (32-bit). My VISA's version is 4.1. The only problem is how to interface the Keithley 2611a with my computer. 

It's just a simple: Write Voltage, Read Current.

My question is similar to this man's question, albeit his program seems a bit too complicated for me to understand. (Like the VISA block. Where do I find that in Labview?)

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/I-V-measurement/td-p/1695088

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(5,578 Views)

The quickest way to find VISA is to go to a vi's block diagram and press control-space.  This should launch the quick drop menu, type for example "VISA Open" and double click on VISA Open and it will drop this function onto your block diagram.

I would suggest you start small.  First use Measurement & Automation Explorer to prove to yourself that you are able to communicate with your device.

Next try to get one of the Kethley examples up and running (KE26XX Config Source & Measure.vi might be a good start).  Navigating a new driver can be frustrating if you are not use to the nuiances of vi drives.  In general a drive menu is created that is nothing more than a giant block diagram showing all the available functions.  It is up to you to pick and choose which functions you want to use.

Start small and build on what you already know.  Break the problem into smaller steps and when you get stuck come back to this thread and let us know where you are stuck.  This will take time to learn how to do, but will be very rewarding once you have done it.

-SS

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(5,570 Views)

Thanks for the reply!

Well, I've been busy with my exams so I couldn't reply immediately. Anyway I now that I'm back, here's what I managed so far:

1. MAX was able to detect the Sourcemeter. (Keithley 2611a)

2. Now, I try running the Configure Source and Measure.vi and I get this error in the error out text display:

code: -1073807339

VISA Read in Keithley 2600 Series.lvlib:Initialize.vi->KE26XX Config Source & Measure.vi

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(5,549 Views)

Hi,

The error code you are receiving describes a timeout error, more specifically “Timeout expired before operation completed”.

Here is a LabVIEW help article that describes common VISA errors, for your future reference.
http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361H-01/lverror/visa_error_codes/

I can think of a few reasons why we would receive this error.
1) You could be configuring/selecting the front panel options incorrectly, so I would double check to make sure you have the settings on the front panel corresponding to the node/channel you are using.
2) There could be an issue communicating with your device. To check this I would open Measurement and Automation Explorer, right-click the device connection and select “Open VISA Test Panel”. From the VISA Test Panel go to the Input/Output section and 'Query' your device (Note: There are some common/default commands already in the VISA Test Panel, however these may not be accepted commands by your device, checking the user manual/specifications guide will help you verify). If the “Return Data” comes back with a timeout error, then there may be a problem with the GPIB connection.

-Jake B.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(5,514 Views)

Thank you Mr. Jake. 

I finally have the connection working properly. The Data Bit on Keithley was 8 bit while the program was defaulted to 7 bit.

Anyway I have a new error while running the Advance Sweep.vi in one of the example drivers:

Error code: 5042 - cannot perform requested action while overlapped operation is in progress.

This come out in both the Keithley LCD and in labview...

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(5,502 Views)

I was able to find a discussion forum regarding the error code, the example, and a Kethley 26xxa product that may be of use to you.

http://forums.ni.com/t5/Instrument-Control-GPIB-Serial/Keithley-2636A-Error-Code-5042/m-p/2036724

-Jake B.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(5,488 Views)

droidkiller,

If you are still stuck

Try the GPIB example:  On my computer - C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2011\examples\instr\smplgpib.llb\LabVIEW - GPIB.vi

Not as much overhead.  See if you can get Voltage and Current readings back: 

Download and look at this manual:

http://www.keithley.com/base_download?dassetid=51068

2600S-900-01_(C_-_Jan_2008)(User).pdf

See the:

smuX.measure.Y
smuX.measure.iv

Regards,

-SS

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(5,477 Views)

After finally having time, I've got the Advance Sweep Working. Anyway, what value does the Advance Sweep return anyway? Is it current? And what is its unit? mA, or A? 

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(5,368 Views)

After finally having time, I've got the Advance Sweep Working. I just had to reconfigure the DUT. Anyway, what value does the Advance Sweep return anyway? Is it current? And what is its unit? mA, or A? 

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(5,368 Views)

I would guess Amps, but read the manual to make sure.  Or you can just do a measurement and see what value you get returned.  From there decide which one makes sense based on the instrument's front panel.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(5,352 Views)