From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using LabVIEW with IEEE 488 card

I want to acquire data from Kitheley instruments using IEEE 488 card. Can the data be acquired using LabVIEW 6i,Is the IEEE 488 card compatable with LabVIEW.Please try and explain in detail.Can Data be acquired using RS232 port in the PC.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,569 Views)
As long as the instrument has a IEEE 488 interface then it is possible. The data can be acquired using LabVIEW, its one of its strong points. Most IEEE 488 cards are compatable with LabVIEW, however NI's cards is usually easier to get working. Basically install the card and verify that it is working. Then write a VI that uses the GPIB functions to write to the instrument and read the readings back. You will need to have a manual for the instrument to know what commands to send to it and what to expect back, if you have LabVIEW drivers for the instrument then it should make your job easier. Going into detail on exactly how to do this is beyond the scope of this group, I recommend getting a book on the subject and seeing if there are any classes on the s
ubject in your area.

You could use the serial port on your PC to talk RS232 to your instrument (if it supports it), but it is almost always easier to get a GPIB (IEEE 488) connection working correctly. Plus you can only have one instrument on a RS232 connection.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,569 Views)