LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using LabVIEW to read an IR code

I am trying to build an IR remote circuit for a class project. I have the IR codes for a Samsung TV and want LabVIEW to read them and generate the correct square wave to output to an IR LED. Is this possible? If so, what functions in LabVIEW should I use to read the codes?

Here is an example of the IR code that turns a Samsung TV on:

0000 006d 0022 0003 00a9 00a8 0015 003f 0015 003f 0015 003f 0015 0015 0015 0015 0015 0015 0015 0015 0015 0015 0015 003f 0015 003f 0015 003f 0015 0015 0015 0015 0015 0015 0015 0015 0015 0015 0015 0015 0015 003f 0015 0015 0015 0015 0015 0015 0015 0015 0015 0015 0015 0015 0015 0040 0015 0015 0015 003f 0015 003f 0015 003f 0015 003f 0015 003f 0015 003f 0015 0702 00a9 00a8 0015 0015 0015 0e6e

I realize different TV models can have different codes. I just need to know how to get LabVIEW to read the code and output the corresponding signal. I'll worry about finding the specific codes later.

Note: I am building this circuit from scratch. I do not want to use a PI or Arduino.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(4,389 Views)

Are you trying to read from a remote, or trying to send a signal as if you were the remote?  Your message seems to talk about both reading codes and sending a signal to an LED.

The LED circuit sounds like ti would be a simple IR LED, transistor, battery, resistor.  Use Google to find some sample circuits.

But you need some hardware to connect your PC to that circuit.  Perhaps an inexpensive DAQ board.  How long is each pulse within that pattern?  If the pulses are long enough, you might be able to do it with a less expensive digital output board that uses software timing.  If the timing requirments are tight, you may need a more expensive DAQ board that allows for hardware timed digital outputs.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(4,374 Views)

I am trying to send a signal as if I were with a remote. When I said I wanted LabVIEW to read an IR signal I meant that I have the IR code that corresponds to the IR signal that a remote would send out (above) but I want Labview to read that code and output the signal itself.

I have the NI myDAQ which I believe should be capable of timed digital outputs although I'm not sure how to utilize this feature. I could be wrong though.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(4,365 Views)

@rdfacer24 wrote:

I am trying to send a signal as if I were with a remote. When I said I wanted LabVIEW to read an IR signal I meant that I have the IR code that corresponds to the IR signal that a remote would send out (above) but I want Labview to read that code and output the signal itself.

I have the NI myDAQ which I believe should be capable of timed digital outputs although I'm not sure how to utilize this feature. I could be wrong though.

What do you mean you want LabVIEW to read that code and output the signal it's self?

When you for instance press "channel up" do you want LabVIEW to display a message like "Channel UP pressed" or do you want LabVIEW to actually change the channel on the TV?

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(4,363 Views)

I was doing some research and found that you can use an Arduino and a IR photo sensor to read the IR blast and generate the corresponding code. So, for example, you press the "on" button on a TV remote (aimed at the IR photo sensor), the Arduino then generates the code for that "on" IR blast. I want to copy and paste that code into LabVIEW so that LabVIEW can generate the same IR blast that will be sent to an IR LED on an external cirucit. This signal from the LED will then turn the TV on.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(4,358 Views)

@rdfacer24 wrote:

I was doing some research and found that you can use an Arduino and a IR photo sensor to read the IR blast and generate the corresponding code. So, for example, you press the "on" button on a TV remote (aimed at the IR photo sensor), the Arduino then generates the code for that "on" IR blast. I want to copy and paste that code into LabVIEW so that LabVIEW can generate the same IR blast that will be sent to an IR LED on an external cirucit. This signal from the LED will then turn the TV on.

Oh... Okay it sounds like the easiest thing would be to study that Ardunio code and see if you can pick out the "codes" you need to send to the Ir emitter. 

Other than that your other option is use an ir photodiode and something like an oscilloscope to capture the pulse train from each button press. So you can recreate that in LabVIEW.

You know there should be a document that has these codes in it somewhere, otherwise what do all the unversial remote control manufacturers use?

Have you tried contacting Samsung and asking them?

========================
========================
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(4,344 Views)

I found some of the basic codes here: http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/codes/samsung/tv_functions/ , the code in my original post is an example of the "on"  IR blast code.

I am just not sure if it is possible to "copy and paste" these codes into a function in labview so that it actually generates the same IR blast square wave.

Do you know if there is such a function?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(4,339 Views)

Frankly I do not think this is going to be a simple "copy and paste".

Granted I don't know that much about TV remote controls except in theory, but something here seems to be missing.

Like when you press "power" the remote send lets say 034B hex.

So they are sending some sort of serial data, but at what data rate?

Is the IR beam modulated in any way or is it just pulsed off and on?

========================
========================
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(4,334 Views)

Look at this: http://www.vishay.com/docs/80071/dataform.pdf

and this (simmilar) http://ecee.colorado.edu/~mcclurel/vishay_ir_data_formats.pdf

this: http://techdocs.altium.com/display/FPGA/NEC+Infrared+Transmission+Protocol

And this: http://irq5.io/2012/07/27/infrared-remote-control-protocols-part-1/

That should get you started.

========================
========================
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(4,327 Views)

Those are all very good questions that I definently need to answer and understand in order to get this to work. I'll check out those links and most likely be back asking more questions soon. Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(4,309 Views)