LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using In/Out Port.vi from V7x in a V6i application

We are currently upgrading all our PC's to run windows XP that were still using Windows 98. These PC's are running an application written in Labview 6i using In Port.vi and Out Port.vi.

I have tried to use the Accesshw fix, but it is causing the system to incorrectly read and write to the board. (DRO-CARD 2 from Mitutoyo).

I've read that from version 7 and up a new polymorphic In Port and Out Port was created, so applications running on XP can directly access memory locations. Is there anyway to get these vi's and use them in version 6i? Upgrading Labview is currently not an option for us, so I am stuck.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,871 Views)
What are you trying to access using Port In/Out? Are there any other alternatives?

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,853 Views)

Mike,

Thanks for the reply!

We have about 6 glass scale measuring devices connected using a Mitutoyo DRO-CARD-2 Linear scale acquisition card. It's an ISA card, the only settings on it are where the data is stored in memory. I can access the following locations:

210H to 21FH,230H to 23FH,250H to 25FH,270H to 27FH,290H to 29FH,2B0H to 2BFH,2D0H to 2DHF,2F0H to 2FFH

We've always used 210H, but I have tried all memory locations with no luck.

When I use the AccessHW in and out ports, I can't set the preset value, numbers on the scale bounce all over the place when you extend the device.

We use the in port to read the scale info from the card, and use the out port to set the pre-set value and initialize the card.

It seems like the problem is AccessHW only allows for reading 16 or 8 bits, and when I read using 16 bits, part of the word is being lost, causing the numbers to bounce around.

The only thing I can see using is the In and Out port vi's from Labview 7x in my 6i programs (I know the connectors will need to be changed) if this is at all possible.

Thanks again,

Steve

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,837 Views)
Have you talked to Mitutoyo? They might have an interface card that is compatible with the old hardware but has a better interface to the computer.

Mike...

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,833 Views)
Mike,

Actually I'm stuck in the middle of a large project. We are currently looking into replacing most of these units, and it's up in the air as to what software we are going to use to do it. I'm trying to get them to use Labview, so we can keep the code in house, but they are also looking outside to have someone write a program in VB.
I don't forsee a decision coming soon, or the project being completed within 6 months.

In the mean time, I have all these old windows 95 PC's that are starting to die and a headquarters that is saying they don't want any windows 95/98 machines on the network. I have built brand new P4's with ISA slots and need to port this over now.

Where I'm stuck, is I can't buy new boards, because we don't know if this will still be the measuring technology we are going to use. The same holds true for upgrading Labview, since I don't know if this is the software we will be using.

What I need is an in port.vi and an out port.vi to be able to handle more than 16 bits under XP so I can get these running now. I was hoping to see if it is possible to get get a hold of these two vi's from Version 7x and use them in my current program.

Thanks,

Steve
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,825 Views)
The In Port/Out Port VIs in LabVIEW 7 aren't polymorphic in the way you're thinking. They're just wrappers that call a DLL. Thus, you would need the VIs and the DLL. To be honest, I'm not sure if this would be allowed within the NI distribution policies.

Does this KB article help?
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,812 Views)
Thank you all for the replies.

Unfortunately nothing seemed to work. The good news is I was able to get the company to stay with Labview for the project, so I was able to purchase the upgrade.

Hopefully the In and Out port vi's in the latest version will work for us.

Thanks again!

Steve
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,757 Views)

Steve:

I believe the DRO cards have been discontinued by Mitutoyo. You may want to think of the implications in case the card goes bad and needs replacement.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,750 Views)
Steve;

Just had an idea, how about replacing the old proprietary IO board with something LV-FPGA based? It might be just the ticket...

Mike...

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,728 Views)