From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Error In and Error Out Clusters within VIs

@mikeporter wrote:
Basically, the rule of thumb In use is that I include error clusters in one of two situations:

1. The VI can generate an error.
2. The VI might reasonable need to be able to respond to an error.

The first case is pretty clear. A good example of the second case are VIs that I have for things like Wait (ms). If an error comes in, the wait is bypassed. Likewise I have wrappers for the one and two button dialog functions.

Having said that I was hoping that NI was going to follow through with their stated intention to put error IO on the native functions. But that didn't happen -- guess a new icon was more important.

Mike...

Low-hangin' fruit, Mike.  😉

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 21 of 24
(467 Views)

I will say this about wiring subVIs with error clusters.  You will get points off on your CLD if you don't...

We had an almost argument over that one on the exam board.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
0 Kudos
Message 22 of 24
(463 Views)

@billko wrote:

I will say this about wiring subVIs with error clusters.  You will get points off on your CLD if you don't...

Lets be honest, if NI the collective was a person, do we really think it would pass its own exam?

0 Kudos
Message 23 of 24
(441 Views)

@Hooovahh wrote:

@billko wrote:

Lets be honest, if NI the collective was a person, do we really think it would pass its own exam?

Sometimes you have to perform unspeakable acts for a piece of paper.  I kind of sidestepped the whole issue by using a template for all my subVIs - one that included, of course, error clusters and the error case structure - so I no longer needed to debate wheter or not I thought they were always needed.  They were always there so I always used them.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 24 of 24
(437 Views)