LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Arrow Keys cause my block diagram to grow.

Solved!
Go to solution

I finally upgraded to LabVIEW 2017. Now when I am in my block diagram and use my arrow keys my block diagram grows. Is this a new "feature"?

Tim
GHSP
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 28
(3,417 Views)

I don't have that feature.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 28
(3,339 Views)

Hi Tim,

I'm also having some trouble replicating this feature across a few of my VIs.  Could you expand on what you mean by your block diagram 'growing'? A small snippet of code before and after may be helpful. 

Is this happening across multiple VIs or is inside a specific one? And are you running your VI when this is occurring, or is it happening while you are still programming?  Lastly, the next time this occurs, pressing Ctrl + Shift + Right Mouse Button and seeing which of the cursor icons is selected would help greatly.

Tyler O.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 28
(3,322 Views)

He did not say what LV he upgraded from, and I am guessing he is new to "Auto Grow", (Place Structure with Auto Grow is enabled by default) and when moving something around inside a structure with the arrow keys he is triggering the Auto Grow.

With nested structures auto grow can cascade all the way out to the main (outermost) loop. Making the entire block diagram grow by simply moving one sub-vi buried deep in a structure.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 28
(3,290 Views)

RTSLVU wrote:

He did not say what LV he upgraded from, and I am guessing he is new to "Auto Grow", (Place Structure with Auto Grow is enabled by default) and when moving something around inside a structure with the arrow keys he is triggering the Auto Grow.

With nested structures auto grow can cascade all the way out to the main (outermost) loop. Making the entire block diagram grow by simply moving one sub-vi buried deep in a structure.

Good point. Might be it. Some context (steps to reproduce) would have helped...

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 28
(3,265 Views)

Hi Tyler,

I seem to only be having this problem on a few different program. Some are OK. I am not sure what triggers this behavior. Once I played around with it for a little while I found that any time I click on this code no matter what I do it is growing just as if I had auto grow on and moved something. I even went so far as to turn off auto grow on each structure and it is still happening. I am trying a block diagram clean up to see what I get from that. I am expecting a nightmare with that solution.

Tim
GHSP
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 28
(3,238 Views)

Once I ran the block diagram clean up the structures quit growing. The block diagram no longer fits into one window and is about 10 times the size. I am not sure what is causing this but it will take a long time to compress everything back down to one window. I use this structure in many of my other programs and I did not have this problem on most of them.

Tim
GHSP
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 28
(3,235 Views)

I upgraded from 2016 to 2017 and I am very familiar with auto grow. I have been programming with LabVIEW for over 18 years and I have never had this new feature before. : ) I do not see this in most of my ocde and I am not sure why I see it in this code. I was just wondering if anyone else had this issues and how they fixed it. This is a program that I update about once a year so I try to keep it on the latest version of LabVIEW so I do not run into issues. 

Tim
GHSP
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 28
(3,233 Views)

Context help:

I open my project file.

I opened my code.

If I click on any thing in my block diagram the whole thing grows.

It was that easy.

Tim
GHSP
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 28
(3,230 Views)

Could it be some weird mouse-driver?

I assume that the diagram "grows" in some way, not the actual window. Do diagram parts just move apart? Can you show some sample screenshots before and after the click/key trigger to give us a better idea.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 28
(3,211 Views)