From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User Handling

Hello guys, 

I would like to ask how you deal with user handling in your applications. I've been doing it in a few projects already, but it is always such a repetitive task to handle some rights, access levels etc. I would imagine that NI should already have some build in solution which would allow seamless integration of these tasks to code, but was unable to find anything suitable. Any ideas or recommendations?

Message 1 of 3
(1,057 Views)

Hi Rashek,

@Rashek wrote:

I've been doing it in a few projects already, but it is always such a repetitive task to handle some rights, access levels etc.

When you already did this several times then you  should have your own function library to handle all "rights and access levels"!

I guess the answer to this question is to generic to allow NI to supply a "ready-to-use" collection of functions. Some may use databases, some may use Windows user management functions, some may just use the user login name. Some need a lot of access levels, some need only to differ between "admin" and "default user"…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(1,029 Views)

Hello Rashek,

actually couple 3rd party toolkits for this task already exist. You could check this one - ANV User Management Toolkit . It is paid one, but there is trial period enough to play around with it and decide, whether this is something what you need.

Overall, it supports configuration of user and their rights + roles (more like TestStand style), and store this information to MS SQL or SQLite databases and to JSON or binary files. Also, it has API which you could use in your application to handle login/logout procedures, verification of access rights (whether logged user could do some action), or even build your own user interfaces for login and users configuration.

Message 3 of 3
(982 Views)