From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use the same indicator in different tabs

I look for some answers to this question and I found some of them, but they are too old, and probably the new versions allow us to do this. Is it possible? Or this feature is not implemented yet?

Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,945 Views)
What answers did you find? It's always been possible to use the same indicator on multiple tabs. If you create an indicator and move it to the tab control with the cursor arrows (do not drag it with the mouse), the indicator is not embedded into a specific page. Rather, it 'floats' above the entire tab control. If you need the indicator on all tabs, you're done. If you want to make it visible for only some, you can use a property node to change it's visibility.
Message 2 of 6
(2,936 Views)
I've used Dennis' method many times, and something you might want to watch out for are some nasty black outlines on your controls that you've 'dragged' onto the tab control.

They will disappear when the vi is run, and also will not appear in any executable.

Generally, if you reorder the controls (tab and indicator you're talking about) you can make them go away too, although I've had issues with that*.  Move the tab to the back, or at least to a layer behind the indicator, and move the indicator to the front.

* Anyone know of why I might be able to get rid of those outlines by reordering sometimes, but not other times?

Message Edited by Novatron on 06-06-2006 03:05 PM

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,929 Views)
How can I change its visibility in only one tab? All times that I tried to do it, the indicators disappear from the other tabs.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,907 Views)

@gborges wrote:
How can I change its visibility in only one tab? All times that I tried to do it, the indicators disappear from the other tabs.

Use the current value of the tab control, and a bit of logic.

Message Edited by Donald on 06-07-2006 08:49 AM

=====================================================
Fading out. " ... J. Arthur Rank on gong."
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,895 Views)
You can also use multiple indicators but use an event structure to handle the change to any of the aliased controls to appear as though there is just one copy.  I would also use a strict typedef for this control so you only have to change it in one location.  The other issue (might not be  a problem here) with floating controls is that they will appear on all tabs so if you want the control to be visable on only some tabs it is more problematic.
Paul Falkenstein
Coleman Technologies Inc.
CLA, CPI, AIA-Vision
Labview 4.0- 2013, RT, Vision, FPGA
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,878 Views)