From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use alternative block diagram data type colors?

Solved!
Go to solution

LabVIEW 2016 Options window offer this new option:

Screen Shot 2016-07-29 at 14.44.41.png

The Help file however, doesn't document it, and I was unable to find any place in the options window where alternative block diagram data type colors could be defined.

Any explanation would be welcome.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(4,635 Views)

Well, if you have LabVIEW 2016, why not check that box, restart LabVIEW, and do some sleuthing?  [I presume you looked in the Help files ...]  I'm wondering if this means that Integers will be Orange and Floats dark blue ...  [I certainly hope not!]

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(4,604 Views)

I tried but couldn't figure out how this works.

Hence my question.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(4,598 Views)

Maybe it's for us colorblind people?

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(4,572 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author X.

I didn't drop every possible thing, but it looks like the decimal color is definitely changed, and it appears the real colors have changed, too.  I am color blind, so am not entirely sure if the other basic items have changed.

Option OFF:
2016-07-31 17_25_05-color check.vi Block Diagram.pngOption ON: 

2016-07-31 17_25_05-color check.vi Block Diagram.png

Message 5 of 11
(4,534 Views)

Good catch. I didn't think of trying out on a diagram... I was kind of expecting that the user would be given a chance to define his/her own color palette.

Refnums, paths and variant also appear different as well. I suppose others do too. I am not sure what the gain is supposed to be. I am not color blind and I don't quite see the point. But then most of my diagrams have a yellowish background...

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(4,523 Views)

@Matthew_Kelton wrote:

I didn't drop every possible thing, but it looks like the decimal color is definitely changed, and it appears the real colors have changed, too.  I am color blind, so am not entirely sure if the other basic items have changed.

Option OFF:
2016-07-31 17_25_05-color check.vi Block Diagram.pngOption ON: 

2016-07-31 17_25_05-color check.vi Block Diagram.png

I am colorblind, also - but I don't see any obvious advantages for me, either.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(4,517 Views)

I think that looking at this page I mentioned in another post gives some hint as to where NI is going with this option...

http://www.ni.com/documentation/en/tech-preview/latest/node-ref/constants/

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(4,466 Views)

@X. wrote:

I think that looking at this page I mentioned in another post gives some hint as to where NI is going with this option...

http://www.ni.com/documentation/en/tech-preview/latest/node-ref/constants/

Thanks for the link - and I gotta say, "ewww".  So it's not only the forum that's getting butt-ugly.  😉

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(4,432 Views)

With the list of community suggested improvements, not to mention the need to overhaul the front panel graphics, surely NI engineers can find something better to do with their time than to revamp the block diagram look and feel.  I realize I spend most of my time on the block diagram, but my customers don't.

Not to mention it looks like it will be more space greedy, a major reason I avoid the Silver Pallette.

Message 10 of 11
(4,425 Views)