From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use Ni-Visa instead of Visa

I installed Ni-Visa on Linux. I can see my external devices in Ni-Visa. How can I tell LabView to use Ni-Visa and not Visa?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,369 Views)

What other VISA is there?  Just use the VISA VIs on your function palette.  What actual errors are you running into?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,315 Views)

Maybe I misunderstand how this is working. I was told by the manufacturer of my device to use Ni-Visa. So I installed it and I see the device when I type visaconf. But In Labview, I don't see the device under Visa. I was under the impression that I need to replace Visa with Ni-Visa somehow?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,307 Views)

What is the device?  How is it connected?  Do you see it in MAX (Measurement and Automation Explorer)?

Some possibilities:

1. If you are connected via Ethernet, you will have to either create the VISA reference from a string or use MAX to create a VISA alias that you can use in LabVIEW.

2. Many instruments connected via USB just show up as a serial port.  So you will need to figure out which COM port is being used.

3. If connected over serial port, you just have to reference the COM port the instrument is connected to (similar to the USB option I mention).

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,300 Views)