LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading to Windows 10 and getting old VIs to run

Hi,

I had LabVIEW 2013 on Windows 7. After upgrading to Windows 10, the existing LabVIEW version was unable to find any device. Thinking that this could be a too old LabVIEW version for Windows 10, I had LabVIEW 2018 installed. When running the VI, it gave an error saying that DAQmx cannot be found. I tried installing DAQmx but that gave an error as well. I then tried LabVIEW 2015, which gave the same error when running the VI.

Unfortunately, the computer ran into blue screen error while installing DAQmx and Visa drivers. It doesn't allow me to enter safe mode even when boot options are changed. Does someone know what's going on? Any help would be much appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(1,982 Views)

I don't quite understand your problem.  If you have a working PC running Windows 10, you should have only the "usual" amount of trouble installing an appropriate version of LabVIEW (for Windows 10, you should restrict yourself to LabVIEW 2016 or later).

You need, of course, a license appropriate for whatever Version you install.  With a license, you should be able to go to the NI Website, download an Installer (probably NIPM, which has gotten better at its job), and start installing LabVIEW.  I suggest you install only LabVIEW (and I suggest you install 32-bit LabVIEW), no Drivers, and few Add-Ons (deselect everything and then install only what you think you'll use), then reboot.  Next, install DAQmx and just the drivers you'll use (which probably does not include the 488.2 Driver).  Activate and you should be good to go.  If there's still something you need, just install it, but don't "install everything".

Bob Schor

P.S. -- if you have a "partial" NI installation and are having trouble adding to it, I'd suggest uninstalling all NI software and starting over.  Instructions how to do a safe uninstall can be found on the Web and in this Forum.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(1,955 Views)

What version of DAQmx did you install?  If using LabVIEW 2018, you need DAQmx 18.0 or newer (in theory through 22.X).  Personally, I would install LabVIEW 2019 SP1 with DAQmx 20.0 (current version): this is my current setup.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(1,941 Views)

My computer ran into blue screen error while trying to install the drivers. Once that was solved, uninstalling existing versions of LabVIEW didn't work as well. Finally, we had to reinstall Windows 10, remove the DAQ card and do the following in order: install LabVIEW (2018 sp1), install DAQmx 18.0 drivers, plug in DAQ card with cable and Install VISA drivers, following a reboot at each step. It's working now. Thanks for the help!

Message 4 of 5
(1,861 Views)

If you have a DAQ  card, the next question is which model and which DAQmx versions support it. That can limit which DAQmx versions (and thus which LV version) you practically have available. It seems you got it to work, but it can be good to know.

In general you Always need to install DAQ after a LV install and atleast until the last versions, LV needed to be installed from older to newer.

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(1,855 Views)