From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded from LabVIEW 8 to 2013 and now VI asks to find the installation package for Run-Time Engine 7.0

Solved!
Go to solution

I recently installed LabVIEW 2013 on a computer (running Windows XP 32-bit).  The machine also has LabVIEW 8 installed, which is what I was using prior to upgrading.  I opened a VI that was created in LV8 and then saved it and all its subVIs in LV2013.  Now when I open the VI in LV2013 and try to run it, a window pops up asking me to find the "lvruntimeeng.msi" installation package for LabVIEW Run-Time Engine 7.0.  If I cancel that dialog box and the subsequent message stating that the installion files were not found, the VI appears (at least from intial inspection) to run normally.

I closed LabVIEW, downloaded Run-Time Engine 7.0 from the NI website, and tried to install it, but I received a message saying that it is already installed (as I had suspected).  How can I determine what part of the VI and/or its subVIs is trying to make use of Run-Time Engine 7.0?  Alternatively, how can I get LabVIEW to instead use the Run-Time Engine 2013 that was installed when I upgraded to LabVIEW 2013?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,210 Views)

Are you running your VI from a Project?  If so, you can look at Dependencies and get an idea what "dependent" VIs you might have.  There may be "something old" in your LabVIEW 8 code that has been superceded in 2013, but still "hangs around" -- if you can identify it, you can probably replace it with its "more modern" equivalent.

If you do not have the VI in a Project, you can simply open LabVIEW, create a new blank project, and add your top level VI to it.  If all of your relevant VIs are in a single folder, add the entire folder.  Now look in Dependencies.

BS

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,155 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author fredandjerry

@Bob_Schor wrote:

Are you running your VI from a Project?  If so, you can look at Dependencies and get an idea what "dependent" VIs you might have.  There may be "something old" in your LabVIEW 8 code that has been superceded in 2013, but still "hangs around" -- if you can identify it, you can probably replace it with its "more modern" equivalent.

If you do not have the VI in a Project, you can simply open LabVIEW, create a new blank project, and add your top level VI to it.  If all of your relevant VIs are in a single folder, add the entire folder.  Now look in Dependencies.

BS

Yes I am running the VI from within a LV Project.  After some more searching in the NI Knowledgebase I was able to fix the problem by using the following procedure:

1.  Use the Measurement and Automation Explorer to uninstall Run-Time Engine 7.0

2.  Restart the PC

3.  Open the project, close the project choosing to "save all"

4.  Restart the PC

5.  Re-install Run-Time Engine 7.0 using a file downloaded from ni.com

6.  Restart the PC

7.  Open the project, close the project choosing to "save all"

8.  Open the project and run the VI.  No more messages about LabVIEW trying to find Run-Time Engine 7.0.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,143 Views)