LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded Labview on university NI PXI, urgently need help!!

Hi I urgently need help from you guys since my ass is on the line here. There was an idle PXI in our lab so I used it. To start things off, I installed the latest version of Labview, which is Labview 2018 and all the associated software such that I can run a simple DAQ project.

Only now have I realized that I can't just uninstall the software!!!I don't even remember what is the original version comes with this machine.

IS IT POSSIBLE TO UNDO THE INSTALLATION OF THE LATEST VERSION OF LABVIEW?

Thanks!!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(1,966 Views)

When you install a new version of LabVIEW, it doesn't install over the old version, but along side of it.

Look in the Program Files menu of the start menu.  You can also open up Measurement and Automation Explorer and look under the software branch and you'll see what is installed.

The one issue is that if you installed device drivers and the version is a lot newer than the original version of LabVIEW on there.  Then device driver support of the old version would be dropped.  See http://www.ni.com/product-documentation/53326/en/

Why do you think you need to uninstall the software?  Talk to whoever is in charge of that PXI and gave you permission to install software on it.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(1,945 Views)

In some ways, uninstalling LabVIEW is more difficult than installing it, and if it has been mis-installed (which I managed to do on two of my Windows 10 PCs with LabVIEW 2017), sometimes the only "solution" is to reformat the hard drive, reinstall the OS, reinstall utilities and other software, then (carefully) reinstall LabVIEW.

If there are multiple versions of LabVIEW installed, because of the "version-compatibility" model LabVIEW uses, a clean installation of the "latest version" is (in my experience) rarely successful.  Every time I've tried (and failed), I've resorted to doing a total removal of all National Instruments Software (something Control Panel makes fairly simple), then rebuilding.  You must install the oldest version first.  I strongly recommend rebooting after each version has been installed.  Install Device Drivers last.

If you are not experienced with LabVIEW installations, go to the person in charge of the PXI, apologize, and offer to help.

One final question -- the PXI systems I run are all running LabVIEW RT, not Windows, so "installing LabVIEW", to me, means updating the LabVIEW RT software, which I do from MAX on a connected PC.  I'm guessing that your PXI has a Windows partition, and you are treating it as though it was a Development System PC, correct?  If not, then the above comments don't apply ...

Bob Schor

Message 3 of 3
(1,937 Views)