LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade the package manager upgrader ??

I need the latest version of LabView and my package manager is too old so I have to upgrade it but I can't because the UPGRADER NEEDS TO BE UPGRADED.Smiley Mad

but how am I supposed to upgrade an upgrader?

i would be sooo thankful if someone could help me.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(5,754 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(5,725 Views)

I'm guessing that when you installed your current version of LabVIEW, you turned off NI Updates (which would detect that your Package Manager is out of date and offer to update it for you).

Go to your Start Menu, find NI Software, look for NI Updates, and try to run it.  Give it some time -- if it doesn't prompt you to update, try a reboot (also see if you can turn NI Updates back on) and try again to run NIPM (while NI Updates is running).

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(5,719 Views)

What version of Package Manager are you using? You should be able to update NI Package Manager through Package Manager. If the Package Manager feed is registered (which it is by default), any new versions should show up as an update. Depending on which version of NIPM you are using, you may even see a banner along the top notifying you that there is an update for NIPM. 

If you go to the updates tab, and try to upgrade it, likely you will be greeted with the error shown below:

image.png

As the error indicates, you should be able to close and reopen Package Manager which will upgrade the Package Manager Upgrader package. Once it gets upgraded, you then can upgrade Package Manager using the banner or the item in the Updates tab. This is the easiest way to Upgrade NIPM. 

Alternatively, you can manually upgrade that package. To do this, you'll need to first ensure the "Show full version and infrastructure packages" checkbox is checked. This checkbox can be found by opening the settings by clicking the cog in the upper-right. 

image.png

Once that checkbox is checked, you should now see the NI Package Manager Upgrader item in the Updates tab. Upgrade just this item, and once upgraded, you should then be able to upgrade NIPM. 

-----------------------------------------------
Brandon Grey
Certified LabVIEW Architect

Message 4 of 12
(5,691 Views)

Edit: See Brandon's post above 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(5,690 Views)

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble. Could you provide us more information so we can help resolve this?

1. What version of NIPM do you currently have?
    • You can find the version by going to "%ProgramFiles%\National Instruments\NI Package Manager" in File Explorer, going to right-click>>Properties of NIPackageManager.exe, and finding the Product Version on the Details tab.
  2. When you say "I have to upgrade [NIPM] but I can't", what exactly are you trying that is failing? Are you clicking a banner at the top, or doing something different? Could you provide screenshots?
  3. Have you tried upgrading from the UPDATES tab of NIPM?
  4. If you close NIPM and relaunch it, does that resolve the issue?
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(5,686 Views)

thank you all for your answers unfortunately I didn't receave them until now (don't know why..) and concerning your question : no i doesn't solve the issue when I relaunch NIPM I just get the same error (the error that Brandon showd in his Post)

and when I click on NI Package Manager Upgrader item in the Updates i also get an error saying that the Package Manager is too old

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(5,634 Views)

I have the version 16.0 of the NIPM

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(5,625 Views)

I don't find 'NI Software' or 'NI updates' is it something I have do download?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(5,623 Views)

I'm not sure where you got version 16.0, but go ahead and download/install the latest version of NI Package Manager (18.5.1)

-----------------------------------------------
Brandon Grey
Certified LabVIEW Architect

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(5,611 Views)