LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating single indicators within a clustor?

Solved!
Go to solution

So I thought I had this figured out but apparently don't at all.... This is probably a simple fix, but when I update elements in a clustor, I have other elements get reset to default values. Does anyone know why this may be?

For example, I have this clustor shown below with 6 numeric indicator fields, but when attempting to update a single field, the other field is reset to 0.

measurement_clustor.png

The first iteration of my program grabs the data and updates the DMM - Resistance indicator as shown below....

DMM_Update.png

After this, I add into the queue to update the DMM Capacitance field in the same format...

DMM_Cap_update.png

And when I update the Capacitance field of my clustor... the Resistance field returns to the value 0.

Is there something I don't understand about clustors, or bundle by name that may solve my problems?

Thanks in advance.

Kellen

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(3,655 Views)

It looks like it should work, can you post actual code or a snippet?

Also, can you select the case statement in question and press the "Clean up diagram" button"?  Not that your diagram is messy, but if you have some weird wiring or objects hiding under other objects it will reveal it.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(3,649 Views)

Here is the VI, but I'm not sure how much it'll help. The dependencies won't allow it to run for you but at least you can get an idea of what I'm trying for.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(3,640 Views)

The two fragments you posted, showing reading/writing a Local Variable, suggests that you can, and should, use a Shift Register, instead.  Try this (there are some things that show "dimly" because I don't have your TypeDefs) --

Revised Consumer.png

Notice that (a) Measurement Data is initialized (by the Cluster Constant connected to the input to the Shift Register), (b) the Measurement Data is updated on every change, and (c) there are no Local Variables anymore (generally a Good Thing).

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(3,603 Views)

Well you still left a Local Variable there in the Case Statement. Can that be removed?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(3,592 Views)
Solution
Accepted by rkmadse

Yes, of course -- I meant to delete it.  I did delete it in the other Case, I think -- this was just carelessness on my part, sorry ...

Revised Consumer.png

BS

Message 6 of 10
(3,584 Views)

So I have made the changes, and the problem persists. It's almost as if the data flow isn't working properly. It just doens't seemt want to update the indicators when it's being told to... 😞

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,562 Views)

Can you post the typedef control for that particular indicator too?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(3,543 Views)

So, I simplified what I was doing, removed the state machine, and now it works fine. Not sure what the hang up was, but it seemed like it was going into a wait state before it was finishing the update on the indicators. So I'll see if I can just stick with the simplicity and make it work. I have attached that type def if you want to look further into what I was doing wrong.

simplified.png

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(3,533 Views)
Solution
Accepted by rkmadse

@rkmadse wrote:

So, I simplified what I was doing, removed the state machine, and now it works fine. Not sure what the hang up was, but it seemed like it was going into a wait state before it was finishing the update on the indicators. So I'll see if I can just stick with the simplicity and make it work. I have attached that type def if you want to look further into what I was doing wrong.

simplified.png

1. No need for that local variable inside of the case structure.  The indicator will update with the next loop iteration thanks to the shift registers.

2. You had a weird state machine going.  What you have here is A LOT easier to understand.  You just now enqueue all of the states you want to go into and in what order.  If you get an E-Stop condition, use the Enqueue At Opposite End to make sure that is caught immediately.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 10 of 10
(3,512 Views)