cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating exe for distribuiton

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I'm trying to update an exe and I'm not sure where I'm going wrong. I have already built and distributed the application to the PXI's. I have updated a file and want to redistribute the new updated exe. They are not connected to a network, so I'm manually updating the PXI's. If anyone could point me in the right direction of where to find any documentation on how to properly do this it would be greatly appreciated. Right now the only way I know how to do is to rebuild the installer and run the installer. I tried to rerun the exe build and just move those files over and nothing even runs when I try to run the exe. It was working on the PXI prior to trying to update the file. 

Thanks in advance.

-Russell

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,693 Views)

Is this a LabVIEW Real-Time Application?  When I see "PXI", I think of LabVIEW-RT (which is where I use a PXI).  I presume you are developing using LabVIEW Project.  I've rarely used an Installer, as I often have LabVIEW on the Host machine.  I've made Installers for Host routines, but I've always deployed directly to the RT Target (which, of course, needs Network Connect to the Host, at a minimum, to work).  I must confess I never thought about "installing" to the LabVIEW RT Target (and there doesn't seem to be an "Installer" option on the RT side).  Sounds like we both might learn something from your query ...

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,647 Views)

Hey Bob,

Having and keeping LabVIEW development licenses have gotten too expensive for our group so I've been given one license with the application builder. We have 6 PXI's that we use for data acquisition systems. Getting and keeping LabVIEW on them adds up. So I need to redeploy the updated application to all of them from my laptop, and I've been looking all day and I can't find anything on how to do this properly.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,644 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author russ_comer

Check with NI but at one time we could install LV on multiple machines as long as we were not developing on more than one machine at a time.

If running on Windows and not LV then create a new build and an installer to ensure all of the drivers are loaded etc.

If under RT target the RT system do the build. mark it as start-up and deploy.

I think NI offers a "replication Toolkit" that should allow duplicating applications to multiple RT targets.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,642 Views)

Hey Ben,

Thanks for the reply. So your saying for every change/update I make to the application I have to rebuild the installer, and then run the installer on the PXI's? Seems a bit excessive but if that's what I have to do then that's what I have to do. 

Thanks,

Russell

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,638 Views)

@russ_comer wrote:

Hey Ben,

Thanks for the reply. So your saying for every change/update I make to the application I have to rebuild the installer, and then run the installer on the PXI's? Seems a bit excessive but if that's what I have to do then that's what I have to do. 

Thanks,

Russell

It is the "fool-proof" approach. If you are just making a small change, with no change to versions or drivers etc, then the exe is all you need to replace.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,635 Views)