cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating an indicator on the main VI whilst executing a sub VI

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I was wondering if you could help me with the following.

I have a sub VI that basically reads a text file and sends it out on the serial port. What I would like to do is update a progress bar (indicating how much of the file has been read/sent) on the main VI whilst this sub VI is running. I would also like to update a text box on the main VI to display the data read from the text file.

I am intending to use the sub VI on other LabVIEW projects so I need to keep it modular.

Which is the most logical way to go about doing this? Passing each control I want to update by reference? Or is there a better way?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Matt

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,165 Views)
Are you using an architecture that allows your top level front panel to update while the subVI is executing?  Do you think you could post an example of your code?
Message 2 of 5
(3,147 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author mattb-5906

ReferenceMatt

You need to create a Reference to your Main.vi Progrss bar  then use a propertn node in your subvi to update the parent control.

Message Edited by VADave on 03-05-2009 02:11 PM
Visualize the Solution

CLA

LabVIEW, LabVIEW FPGA
Message 3 of 5
(3,146 Views)

jmcbee,

Here are some screen prints of my LabVIEW diagram. Note: these were done for testing hence the the reason for no error checking and the like

See attached files

Thanks

Matt

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,131 Views)

Thanks VADave,

I will give it a go. Are references and property nodes still the best way of doing this for the way I've set out my LabVIEW program.

Matt

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,124 Views)