From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating NI-Serial driver after Windows 10 update

A recent Windows 10 update invalidated our NI-Serial driver (COM-Port doesn't show up anymore).

Last year I switched the software we use from Labview 2013 to Labview 2018sp1.  The serial-driver was from that (recent) Labview-version.

To solve the invalidated driver NI now forces me to update many software parts in one HUGE, ULTRA-SLOW update.  I frankly only care about the serial-driver.  Is there a (simple) way to just update the serial driver for my users?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(3,000 Views)

Download it from here: NI-Serial Download 

Select which version you want first.  On the right side below the "Download" button, there is a link to download an "Offline Installer".  I keep a copy of those for specific drivers on a local server.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(2,951 Views)

That is exactly what I did.  Instead of a map with separate installers that I'm used to you currently get everything as a NIPM-file.

Trying to install "ni-serial_19.5.0.49152-0+f0_windows_all.nipkg" it asks to install "NI ADE Development Support (>= 19.5.0)" first.  I just wanted the driver, not manually back-track until I find it wants to install the lot anyway.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(2,942 Views)

Why not just run the Install.exe?  That will open up NIPM and prompt you for what to install.  It will then include all of its dependencies.

GCentral
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(2,921 Views)

That is precisely what I did and why I started this topic.  The 820MB file wants to install/upgrade all kinds of Labview-stuff, costing half an hour.  I just want the driver.

Installs & Updates for NI-Serial.jpg

The cable costs a staggering amount of money.  If I bought a cheap $23 cable I could just update the driver and my Labview-program would function as it always has.

Having bought the expensive cable the company selling me this uses a cheap-method update mechanism that updates everything in sight, even though nothing of this is of any use to my Labview 2018-software.

A serial-driver meant for Windows should at least also come in a format for Windows (.exe, .msi or other), not only for a custom installer that shields regular handling of such matters.

This installer is twice as big as a full installer of the software I support/maintain.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(2,915 Views)

Under the Select section of the installer, just make sure the Runtime installers are selected.  There should be a button to deselect everything.  You then just find the NI-Serial parts you care about (runtime).  Adding the configuration options is what is causing so many dependencies to have to be loaded.

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(2,904 Views)

Ah!  That saves time.

The Installer seems to have no option to run unattended though.  So apart from dealing with a huge file size it means that for all my 50+ users the Support department has to manually go through all the installer steps, just for a driver update.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(2,830 Views)

You may be able to make a dummy installer in LabVIEW that only includes the drivers and/or runtime engines your application needs and give that to your customers.  You can control what goes into the installer a lot more this way.

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(2,818 Views)

Since the issue of "NI not giving a proper NI-Serial installer" didn't get resolved here it appears I need to file a complaint at NI itself.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(2,684 Views)

Currently the best way to install software to a large number of systems unattended/automatically is to create a silent installer using the steps in this article.
You would need to enter the commands specified into notepad, then save this as a .bat file. You can then run this on any PC to install NI-Serial run time without needing to select options or click on prompts. 

I've done this successfully on my own PC with the following commands:

cd C:\Program Files\National Instruments\NI Package Manager
nipkg.exe feed-add "D:\pool\ni-serial-runtime_19.5.0.49152-0+f0_windows_all.nipkg"
nipkg.exe feed-update
nipkg.exe install ni-serial-runtime -y --accept-eulas

You may need to change the file path on line 2 to point towards the location of this file on your system.

Best regards,

Jonah Winn
National Instruments Technical Support
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(2,646 Views)