cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update waveform outside Sub VI

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi

I've got a quite complex program (for me!) with several sub VI's, the main VI calls a sub VI that is a while loop measuring pressure, each value is plotted on the waveform chart as it is measured in real time. I want to display this realtime chart in the main VI. However the waveform chart in the main VI only shows the last value suppplied from the sub VI after the sub VI has finished its loop execution.

Is there a way to setup the waveform chart in the main VI so that it displays data in realtime i.e duplicates what the sub VI chart shows?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,758 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author noodles

It seems quite simple.

Make a control reference of the waveform chart (by right clicking on the chart >> Create >> Reference) and pass it into the subVI from main VI. The sub VI must have a control reference terminal of the same type. Within the subVI, you can update the data using a property node. If you want to update the chart at every loop iteration, then use the property node inside of the loop.

TailOfGon
Certified LabVIEW Architect 2013
Message 2 of 4
(2,736 Views)

Hi

Many thanks, as a newbie, I was unaware of this powerful functionality. This has sorted it.

Cheers

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,694 Views)

Hello! I have the same problem, but I have reed your solution without getting results and I don't know why.
Could anyone send me and example please! 
Thanks!!!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,588 Views)