LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update Service fails when saving to different hard drive

Under file -> preferences in Update Service 2.2.1 I changed my save directory to an E: drive.  The installers fail to run after downloading all the updates.  Works fine when I switch it back to C:, but since it is a SSD space is often limited and I'd like for this functionality to work.

Any suggestions?

The Colex Group
Lead Software Engineer
Certified LabVIEW Developer
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(2,805 Views)

What kind of drive is it (E: )?  

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(2,784 Views)

Just a normal hard drive in the computer.

The Colex Group
Lead Software Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(2,781 Views)

the format is NTFS or FAT32?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(2,778 Views)

NTFS

The Colex Group
Lead Software Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(2,775 Views)

Hi Jordan,

I think a bit more information can help us get to the bottom of the problem:

1. At what point does the failure occur? For example, can you select updates, do they download, and does the installer start running?
  2. If the installer does get built, can you change the preference to 'Save Only' and run the installer manually? Does it work then?
  3. Can you try running Update Service with logging and share the logfile with me? From the command line, run NIUpdateService.exe (usually located at Program Files\National Instruments\Shared\Update Service) -log pathtologfile.txt.
  4. Does that drive have execute permissions?
  5. Do you have UAC enabled/disabled?
LaRisa Mohr
Staff Product Support Engineer - NI Update Service
National Instruments R&D
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(2,753 Views)

@LaRisa wrote:

Hi Jordan,

I think a bit more information can help us get to the bottom of the problem:

1. At what point does the failure occur? For example, can you select updates, do they download, and does the installer start running?
    1. yes.  the installer runs, but gives an error saying it cannot find the files and prompts if to continue with the next installer
  2. If the installer does get built, can you change the preference to 'Save Only' and run the installer manually? Does it work then?
    1. once started it won't let me do anything but resume the session or start a new one
  3. Can you try running Update Service with logging and share the logfile with me? From the command line, run NIUpdateService.exe (usually located at Program Files\National Instruments\Shared\Update Service) -log pathtologfile.txt.
    1. I have since switched back to the C:\ drive and installed my updates, but here's your log file anyway.
  4. Does that drive have execute permissions?
    1. yes
  5. Do you have UAC enabled/disabled?
    1. disabled

The Colex Group
Lead Software Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(2,737 Views)

What happen if you change the location in the same drive. Did you try that?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(2,719 Views)
As mentioned I've since downloaded my updates and no longer have any. I can try again when there's a new one.
The Colex Group
Lead Software Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(2,717 Views)

This log doesn't tell us anything unfortunately, since you already installed the updates using your other drive. If the problem does happen again with future updates, please run a log while Update Service is exhibiting the problem and post it again. We'll be glad to help get to the bottom of this then.

LaRisa Mohr
Staff Product Support Engineer - NI Update Service
National Instruments R&D
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(2,702 Views)