LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unwanted delay when using DAQ in Labview

I think you're seeing a *latency* effect as your device's on-board FIFO gets filled up and the new waveform has to work its way through the FIFO before being generated as a real-world signal.

Dunno what device you have, but I know some common MIO boards have an 8k FIFO.  At your 1k sample rate, that'd give you 8 seconds of latency.  There's also a software task buffer that can add a little more latency.

To reduce latency, there's an advanced DAQmx Channel property you can set once you switch over to using the standard DAQmx API instead of the DAQ Assistants.

low latency.png

The above setting makes the board keep its FIFO nearly empty, leading to min latency but highest risk of buffer underflow errors.  (The default is for the board to keep its FIFO either full or half-full, leading to more latency but lower underflow risk.)  I'm not sure how suitable this setting alone would be if you're using a USB device, I've only used it with desktop devices.

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
Message 11 of 18
(903 Views)

Thank you for the suggestion, but I am completely new at using Labview, and I am very unsure of how I should implement the thing you are suggesting. Could you maybe show it, or maybe even implement in my circuit.

If of course you have the time and generosity to do so 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 18
(896 Views)

A few other things to think about here:

Calculate one phase of your signal into a double array. Make the AO loop iterate through the array over and over to generate that signal. When something changes recalculate the phase and build a new array. This way you do not need to continuously generate the signal information. You only generate the double array if something changes.

If you are iterating through the double array and you want to change something it will also give you a way to stop immediately and go to the new signal.

Try to get rid of the wizards. They are a good starting point but are not efficient. Make sure that you put a wait in your loops so you do not bog down the processor.

Tim
GHSP
Message 13 of 18
(894 Views)

I really (REALLY) appreciate your replies guys, but I have no idea of how to implement these things you tell me. Can you please show me how I should do it 🙂
Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 18
(883 Views)

This should get you started.Example.png

Tim
GHSP
Message 15 of 18
(867 Views)

I will try sir. Thank you very much 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 18
(859 Views)

EDIT: Oops, too slow.  Looks like Tim's posting had a similar starting point but he took it quite a bit farther.  Study it well.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Just as a starting point...

I right-clicked on the DAQ Assistant for your analog output task and selected "Generate NI DAQmx code".   Then I did some very minimal cleanup on the auto-generated code.   The result is attached.

I *highly* recommend the following 2 exercises:

1.  In your code, open the DAQ Assistant for analog output.  Start cross-referencing all the settings and properties there to the DAQmx code I posted.  Do you find some things that aren't accounted for in one place or the other?  Dig into the detailed help for the DAQmx functions and then come here with further questions.

2.  On your DAQ Assistant, do the same right-click and "Generate...".   Ignore the advice (like I did) about modifying the DAQmx Timing setup.   Now carefully compare that raw result to what I posted, notice what cleaning up I did, try to understand it, then ask questions as needed.

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
Message 17 of 18
(853 Views)

@BirgerBrosa wrote:

Thank you for the suggestion, but I am completely new at using Labview, and I am very unsure of how I should implement the thing you are suggesting. Could you maybe show it, or maybe even implement in my circuit.

If of course you have the time and generosity to do so 🙂

By the way, it is not a "circuit".  A circuit implies wires and actual electricity.  In LabVIEW, we call the visual representation of the program code a block diagram.

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 18
(834 Views)