LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unwanted data strings in settings, for connectivity to serial port.

When my program connects to the unit, threw the serial port its recording an unwanted string value in my setting files. Causing "19,Read Key (Boolean).vie" Error to be recorded. Unable to locate where and why this is happening in my VI. Im very new to labview and still learning the basic. I have came up with the conclusion that this error started to happen ever since the last LABVIEW update. (Version 13.0f2).

Thank you, 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(2,816 Views)

Sorry, Not enough information to even attempt a guess..

To get better help try to supply as much information as you can, even the code if possible.

In general Serial comms require established config like Baud rate Parity  stop bits and so on when opening the port and a solid way of determining when the device has finished transmitting data back to you after you query it..

If you can get these two nailed down the rest will work out OK.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(2,808 Views)

Nobody can even attempt to answer this without seeing your code.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(2,782 Views)

Ok here is the code im having trouble with. 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(2,745 Views)

@PlasmaBud wrote:

Ok here is the code im having trouble with. 

This is not the code you are having trouble with.

First, why are you using the 8.6 compatability open config file?  replace that with the 2009 or later version the API got a major upgrade in 2009 and the old and new apis do not mix well.

Next, How about attaching the ini?  what is written to disc? what do you want written to disc?  what is reading from the file?  (That is the vi throwing the error 19)

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(2,733 Views)

To translate Jeff's first assertion:

"You have not attached code to your post, you have attached a picture."

Code (plus the other things he mentioned) would help troubleshoot your problem much more than a picture.

Cameron

To err is human, but to really foul it up requires a computer.
The optimist believes we are in the best of all possible worlds - the pessimist fears this is true.
Profanity is the one language all programmers know best.
An expert is someone who has made all the possible mistakes.

To learn something about LabVIEW at no extra cost, work the online LabVIEW tutorial(s):

LabVIEW Unit 1 - Getting Started</ a>
Learn to Use LabVIEW with MyDAQ</ a>
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(2,721 Views)

This is my original copy of my labview code, i thought maybe updating it was causing the error 19. 

The first Settings.ini is before my code is ran, second is the error after the code is ran. 

I inherited a program and im trying to follow all the code to key in where the code is causing the error. Im not sure what exactly code I should post

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(2,717 Views)

Are you saying that you query the iinstrument through the serial port to get the serial port settings???  This can't have a happy ending...

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(2,700 Views)

Post the program you are running that gives you these wrong (or other wrong) answers. Of course, you can take out parts that are obviously irrelevant, and/or those which would contain private information.

Cameron

To err is human, but to really foul it up requires a computer.
The optimist believes we are in the best of all possible worlds - the pessimist fears this is true.
Profanity is the one language all programmers know best.
An expert is someone who has made all the possible mistakes.

To learn something about LabVIEW at no extra cost, work the online LabVIEW tutorial(s):

LabVIEW Unit 1 - Getting Started</ a>
Learn to Use LabVIEW with MyDAQ</ a>
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(2,697 Views)

@billko wrote:

Are you saying that you query the iinstrument through the serial port to get the serial port settings???  This can't have a happy ending...

No, this problem is with this config file.  Has nothing to do with a serial port other than the file should contain some port settings.  The Data in the file is getting out of whack.

UNDERSTANDABLE since the OP is opening the file with a depreciated function and writing keys to it with a different API.

Replace that open!  then clean up the file  youll be fine

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(2,693 Views)