From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unit Test Framework Crashing LabVIEW Project

[Cross posted to LAVA]

LabVIEW 2009, LabVIEW 2009 SP1. 

Howdy

If I create a project and add a VI and a unit test to it and save it, then delete the unit test, everything works.

If I do the above but put the unit test in a virtual folder then delete it, the project hangs and LabVIEW crashes.

I have tried this on multiple computers and get the same effect.

If it is an issue I thought this may have been fixed in 2009 SP1, but it is not.

I do not remember this happening in 8.6.1 but I was using VISTA at the time (if that is related?)

I get the same problem if I open an existing project with unit tests in it. 

Additionally I have noticed that the files from the unit test in Windows 7 have no "logo/icon" associated with them. I thought in VISTA they had the same icon as what is shown in the project - the green plus sign (but this was a while ago). 

Is this a known issue / can anyone else confirm this? 

Cheers

-JG 

Message Edited by jg-code on 04-13-2010 10:02 PM
Certified LabVIEW Architect * LabVIEW Champion
Message 1 of 11
(4,143 Views)

Hi JG

Can you give me some specific directions (do I create a new unit test in the folder, do I create one then drag and drop to the virtual folder, etc.) as to how you got LabVIEW to crash?  I couldn't seem to replicate this on my own.

I am using LabVIEW 2009 SP1, so I may need to test this directly in 2009, but I couldn't find any indication that this has been reported already.

In regards to the missing icon, Corrective Action Request #220428 has been reported to R&D. 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(4,108 Views)

Hi Kyle 

Thank you for your quick reply.

I am having this problem on my work PC, home PC and a colleague's PC all running Windows 7 and 2009 SP1.

I have found the problem occurs if I create a new unit test OR drag and drop an existing unit test into the project.

Attached is a (jing) video of what is happening every time.

You will see that at the root level of the project (My Computer), I can remove the unit test with no problems at all.

But if it goes into a virtual folder and I try to remove it - then LabVIEW crashes. 

The attachment is in LV2009.SP1 and is the sane project as used in the video.

I look forward to your feedback on resolving this issue I am having.

Cheers

-JG 
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(4,003 Views)

Hi jg,

First off, the Jing video is awesome and definitely helpful; I'll need to remember to use this a lot more.

Secondly, I followed your steps exactly with a new project and the one you attached, but I couldn't get LabVIEW to crash.

Is it possible for you to uninstall and reinstall the toolkit? 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(3,983 Views)

Cool, a video speaks a million words!

I guess that is good news if it is not being replicated (I guess)!

But this is happening to me on 3 machines (2x Win 7 Ultimate, 1x Win 7 Pro). 

I will try to uninstall-reinstall the toolkit.

I am installing some Virtual Machines with XP, so will try it in those as well.  

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(3,955 Views)

Hi Kyle

I tried this on WinXP Pro SP3 in a virtual machine with LabVIEW 2009 SP1 and it ran fine. 

My Win7 system are still crashing (as per video). 

Did you test under Win7?

Cheers

-JG 

Message Edited by jg-code on 04-19-2010 09:00 PM
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(3,924 Views)

I have tried to reproduce the problem on Windows XP, Vista32, Win32 and Win64, it works fine on all the platform. All the computers I used are clean machines. So could you please list all the LabVIEW related software, toolkits you have installed in your computer and I will try again. 

Message 7 of 11
(3,914 Views)

Thanks for checking this.

Attached is my system at work, as per MAX. 

1.png

2.png 

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(3,911 Views)
Hi

Is this issue able to be revisited? As there is another instance of this reported here:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Unit-Test-Framework-Bug-Removing-a-test-vector-file-causes-LV-to/m-p...

Cheers
-JG
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(3,498 Views)

Hello jgcode,

I see what you're saying that both this and the linked forum have fallen somewhat inactive. Are you wishing for us to look back into trying to reproduce your specific issue or the linked one? They seem to be a bit different as to what specifically is deleted that crashes LabVIEW. Were you able to rebuild your test framework to work for your application or upgrade LabVIEW versions, or is it still actively crashing?

Thank you,

Deborah Y.

Deborah Burke
NI Hardware and Drivers Product Manager
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Message 10 of 11
(3,465 Views)