From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unbundle by name - critical bug?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I am experiencing a very critical issue which looks like a bug. I am using the Actor Framework. There is this actor called 'Data Files'. If I open one of its method VIs on my computer, some names are wrong in some unbundle-by-name blocks as shown below.

4.png

But if my colleague opens the same VI on his computer, they appear as they are supposed to be. We both use LabVIEW 2018 f2. We made sure it is exactly the same VI. I also tried opening it on another computer. It was fine, too. It is just my computer. I uninstalled LabVIEW and reinstalled it. I still have the same problem. It seems the uninstallation left some footprints. When I was reinstalling it, I input a different company name but when I open LabVIEW, it still shows the old company name.

Also, when I changed the actor's class private data (.ctl) by adding a new control or cluster, sometimes it messed up some names in unbundle-by-name blocks in some of the method VIs. It silently ruined the previously working program without giving me any sign. This is quite scary. If it was a safety-related critical part of the program, it could've been catastrophic. I had to open all the VIs and check every single unbundle-by-name block.

There was a known issue that seems related to what I have seen. Has it not been completely fixed?

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/LabVIEW-botches-unbundle-when-cluster-is-changed/m-p/871947

I am stuck. Has anyone else experienced a similar problem? Should I find a way to completely uninstall LabVIEW and try reinstalling it again?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,179 Views)

If you have someone else log in to your PC and use LabVIEW does it have the same issue with this file?

If not, the problem is probably some sort of bad file in your C:\Users\<whoever>\Documents\LabVIEW Data\ or in your "AppData" user folder, which (as far as I know) both don't get deleted or cleared when you uninstall and reinstall LabVIEW.  Or something in the registry under the "current user" category.

If you can check this it would at least narrow it down.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,164 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Chickentree

@Kyle97330 wrote:

If you have someone else log in to your PC and use LabVIEW does it have the same issue with this file?

If not, the problem is probably some sort of bad file in your C:\Users\<whoever>\Documents\LabVIEW Data\ or in your "AppData" user folder, which (as far as I know) both don't get deleted or cleared when you uninstall and reinstall LabVIEW.  Or something in the registry under the "current user" category.

To add to this, have you tried clearing your compiled cache (Tools->Advanced->Clear Compiled Object Cache)?

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
Message 3 of 4
(2,132 Views)
@Kyle97330 wrote:

There is no other Windows account set up on this laptop and the IT team has to be involved to set it up. I tried uninstalling every single NI software component following the steps described in the thread below and then reinstalled what I need. It didn't help.

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/How-To-Safely-Completely-Remove-LabVIEW-2018/td-p/3811269

@Mark_Yedinak wrote:

To add to this, have you tried clearing your compiled cache (Tools->Advanced->Clear Compiled Object Cache)?

That was magical! I don't know the mechanism behind it, but that was exactly what I needed to do.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,086 Views)