LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to see Shared Network Variable on Client PC

Solved!
Go to solution

I have 2 LabVIEW applications, one is an executable and one is currently in development and doesn't have an executable yet, so i am running it from the programming environment. The executable LabVIEW application contains a Shared Network Variable library which is deployed when the application loads up. These applications will be running on two separate PCs via Ethernet. 

I am wanting to read the Shared Network Variable that is deployed over the network but i am having issues whereby when LabVIEW deploys the variable over the network successfully on the Server PC and i can see the variable running ok in the NI Distribution Manager, but the other PC (i.e. the client), i can't see the variable - so i went into NI Distribution Manager and could not see it listed even though the two PCs are connecting and communicating and both NI Variable Engines are running fine.

I have tried all the troubleshooting methods that NI have written here - 

https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z000000P6vdSAC&l=en-GB

…I have tried restarting the services, stopping processes etc... but not luck 😞

Note: when i run both applications on the same PC, the network variable is visible and i have no issues with reading it, but when it comes to working on 2 separate PCs, it doesn't work which is frustrating... could this be related to Windows security? When i run on the same PC, i am using Windows 10. When i run on two separate PCs; the client is on Windows 10 and the server is on Windows 7.

Server application was built in LabVIEW 2011 and the client application is running in LabVIEW 2019.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(973 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author MarcusT_NI

Update: Issue resolved.

The problem was the network was set to Public which stops Network Shared Variables from being accessible over the network to other PCs. I changed the network to Workplace and it works now.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(904 Views)