cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to read Hipot tester 'SCI 290 series' ID from NI Max

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi guys,

Does anyone work with Slaughter Hipot tester SCI 297 model ?  I need help to communicate to the instrument using Labview 2018. The instrument has the USB port acts as a USB to RS-232. I can see the device name 'ASRL3::instr "COM3" in the NI Max but unable to read the instrument ID from VISA Test panel. I got the settings are all correct (9600, 8,1,None) I tried the command *IDN? with the  basic Serial Write and Read example and got nothing response.

Thank you,

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(2,660 Views)

Hi pvoh,

does this device even support the *IDN?\r command over (virtual) RS232?

Did you read its manual?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(2,612 Views)

Thank you very much GerdW,

The manual said "Each command string should be terminated by the ASCII control code, New Line
<NL>, or OAh". I tried *IDN?\n command but got no response back from instrument.

Thank you,

pvoh

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(2,597 Views)

Hi pvoh,

does your device support the *IDN command?

How did you append "\n"? Did you write the string in \-code display?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(2,594 Views)

Hi GerdW,

The instrument supports most of the IEEE 488.2 Common Commands such as *IDN?,*RST,*CLS .etc.. I tried both examples (attached) from Labview but none would get the response from the instrument.

Thanks,

pvoh

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(2,590 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author pvoh

Just got in touch with the manufacturer of the hipot tester and apparently the USB port need to get activated ($200.0 ) in order for it to work. I think that will solve the communication issue.

Thank you GerdW for your help. 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(2,565 Views)

Hello Pvoh,

I am running into the exact same issue. Did your 290 Series come with a usb port? I am confused on your wording. To me it sounds like your Hipot tester came with a physical usb port that you were unable to use unless you paid and activated it. Similar to how all Tesla's come standard with autopilot capabilities that you purchase and "activate" after you already bought the car.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(156 Views)

It may be that the USB port only supports a proprietary USB protocol out of the box. This protocol would allow software delivered from the manufacturer to communicate with the device, but if you want to program the device from another program you either need the device to support USB-CDC (Virtual COM port) or USB-TMC (Test & Measurement standard). It could be that support of such a protocol is a feature that you need to activate.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(146 Views)

Contacted the provider, I as well will need to be paying $200 for the installation.

Thank you for the help.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(115 Views)