LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to install when >32GB free space available

LabVIEW 5.1 installer gave an error stating that my application could not be installed because there wasn't enough free disk space. The app requires ~50MB, there was > 32GB of free space on the C: drive.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(3,558 Views)
I have see similar problems in the past with MS applications (I think it was MS-Word 2.0?) where the HD was beyond a limit within the installation sw. I guess they didn't realize back then that 120 GB would become the new standard. Back in the days of LV5.1, 120 MB was probably the standard...

The way I resolved the problem was to partition a drive with 1 GB space. The application still gave me an error (or warning), but it managed to install itself and worked ok..

I don't know if that will resolve the problem with LV5.1, but you can try. What are the chances of upgrading to a newer version?

JLV
Message 2 of 12
(3,555 Views)
We are planning to upgrade sometime this year -- maybe LabVIEW 7.0 will take care of the problem. Our immediate need is to get our application installed on 25 of our customer's PCs. Partitioning the drive is not an option for us. This is an external customer; they maintain the PCs. It would be too costly/risky for them to repartition. We may be able to find other target PCs that have less disk space which do not exhibit this problem.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(3,555 Views)
It's Friday..

I may as well give you an absolutely crazy suggestion.

Fill up the HD with something large... Maybe a DVD ;o)
Reduce the available space on the HD to something reasonable (2GB or less...?).
Then try installing the sw.

Let me know if it works.. or if you tried..

(tyme for coffee)

;o)
Message 4 of 12
(3,555 Views)
You may also suggest using a 3rd party partitioner like Partition Magic, so it's a dynamic partition done through the OS, vs fdisk-ing it.

I'm not sure if this is a viable alternative, but you may want to see if just the LV 5.1 runtime engine installs w/o error, then build the vi's as an executable.

I'd try the standalone RT Engine, vs. doing it off the CD:
http://digital.ni.com/softlib.nsf/websearch/053AFFF5C03BE4AC862568A800082170?opendocument&node=132070_US
Message 5 of 12
(3,555 Views)
Not absolutely crazy, I think.

I vaguely remember having had this problem once, and maybe not with LabVIEW. However, I think the older installer receives the free disk size modulo 2GB (I32)or 4GB (U32) so you may have to create a file large enough just to get under 32GB or 30GB free space boundary. If I remember correctly, I solved this by duplicating the Windows or other large directory.

Not easy to explain to a customer...Good luck!

LabVIEW, C'est LabVIEW

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(3,555 Views)
Quote: "Not easy to explain to a customer...Good luck!"

No kidding... It's faster to come up with crazy solutions than to explain something like that...

;o)
Message 7 of 12
(3,555 Views)
Thanks everybody, that's it! NT returns the free space modulo 4GB, which is an unsigned 32-bit integer. So this problem can occur anytime there's > 4GB of free space. Nothing important about 32GB as I had first expected. Glad to know this is not a LabVIEW installer problem. The windows calculator exhibits the same thing. (Enter a number > 4GB, convert to hex and back to dec and you get a number modulo 4GB.)

Our appl needs 63MB to install, so this error will occur 63MB/4GB * 100 = 1.5% of the time on systems with large hard drives. Our "fix" will be to tell the customer to try the install, and if they get the error message copy ~70MB of files to guarantee that the resulting truncation won't be in that 1.5% window.

Windows 2000 does not exhibit this problem. It uses a 64-bit word, as noted by the QWORD (Quadword) indicator on the calculator.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(3,556 Views)
Hello all,

we have a similar problem on Windows XP. The installer was created with LabVIEW 6.0.2. Our application requires about 70 MB of disk space. The hard disk has about 90 GB free. The installer request the amount of free disk space and gets a 64 bit value back. Due to truncation the installers routine can only see the 32 bit value - which in this case was about 2 MB and denies installation. Is there a bug fix for this problem?

MrX.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(3,312 Views)
Dear MrX,

I will be more than happy to investigate this problem further. Could you please post your excutable? If you feel uncomfortable posting it on our website, you can leave your email and I will email you directly.

Best regards,

Message Edited by Kalin T on 12-14-2006 03:47 PM

Kalin T.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(3,280 Views)