From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to find target's IP programatically on a "Non-development" system

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

Hope you are doing well,

I was hoping if some can guide in the right direction for problem mentioned below:

Problem Statement /Case:

I have a VI (attached and included block diagram screenshot) which finds target's IP address as a part of starting sequence and then updates it in a global variable in another sequence. Which is later used in multiple parts of the main application. Ideally, there would just one method instead of 3 as shown.

• Screenshot for quick lookScreenshot for quick look

Entire application works as expected on Development system. But not on a non-development system, VI (exe) Identify device name and alias but returns 0.0.0.0 as IP.

Hardware: sbRIO-9638

LabView Version: 2019 Professional Full

I would really appreciate if anyone has any suggestions or recommendations.

Additional Information:

Troubleshooting so far on Non-development system:

-I ran the application on debug mode and found that the application is able to identify the device name and the device alias but it returns 0.0.0.0 as IP address.

-Just using string to IP function in multiple mode returns "Preferred IP" addresses as can be seen in "cmd" window.  (e.g. 172.22.11.1 (preferred) instead of 172.22.11.2 (assigned)).

- I can see the device in NI MAX and the IP address as well.

Software Installed on Non-Development PC:

- While building the application, under the additional installers section, following software and drivers were selected: (Since I was not sure what could be causing it, I included a bunch for no reason)

• Microsoft Silverlight 5.1
  • NI Compact RIO Runtime 19.5
  • NI Common Runtime 19.0 for .NET
  • NI RIO Compact Software Configuration support
  • NI LabView Runtime 2019
  • NI MAX (and NI measurement studio common runtime 19.1)
  • NI PXI platform Services runtime 19.5
  • NI System Configuration (.NET and Runtime)
  • NI System Web Server 2019
  • NI Variable Engine
  • NI Web-Based Configuration and Monitoring 19
  • NI-RIO Software Configuration Support 19.0
  • NI-Visa Runtime 19.5

-Could not include the installer due to size restrictions.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(1,601 Views)

I don't have RIOs so I don't know if this will work, but could you just use the property for the IP address directly instead?

Kyle97330_0-1603927898643.png

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(1,557 Views)

Hi Kyle,

Thank you for your response. I will implement it and let you know how it goes.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(1,521 Views)

@Kyle97330 wrote:

I don't have RIOs so I don't know if this will work, but could you just use the property for the IP address directly instead?

Kyle97330_0-1603927898643.png

Hi Kyle, previous reply was by a mistake.

Firstly, I did try out your suggestion but unfortunately it did not work and is giving out an error -2147220623 (Property node does not exist for this resource) or may be I did something wrong. So I attached a screenshot and also the VI if you wouldn't mind taking a look.

Secondly, I explored more ways to find IP address and came across "Find Systems.vi" and it does work on both the development and non-development system as expected.

Third, even though I have something that works now, I am curious to know as to what was wrong with my first approach? If you or anyone else has an explanation I would really appreciate it.

Screenshot for quick lookScreenshot for quick look

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(1,505 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author XM43

I think Find Hardware works for systems you already added to your system, while Find Systems also searches the network for devices nod added to your system.

Message 5 of 6
(1,494 Views)

I have a new sbRIO-9638 card that I am unable to get in contact with. It never turns up in Max. Do you think your program would find it then ?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(870 Views)